Do cats suffer when they get euthanized?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/NiceYard2860
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/NiceYard2860

Hi everyone, I wanted to write what happened today because what I saw today is still on my mind and I can't get it out of my head. I thought maybe someone can tell me if what I saw was normal or am I overthinking.

So my cat was 2 years old and he loved to go outside but a few days ago he was gone for 2 days and I was worried because he normally never goes out for that long. After 2 days he came this Saturday the 13th April back home in the evening when I came back from work. Normally when I call him he would respond immediately but this time he seemed to be so tired and hungry so I thought that that's normal since he was gone for 2 days and hadn't eaten anything. He was also covered in fly eggs which I noticed the next morning so I combed everything out checked everywhere for any injuries and washed him so that no eggs would remain. He was very calm before and after I washed him and also refused to eat anything. He was not breathing abnormally or anything just very tired. After that he fell asleep and was sleeping almost the whole day. And I started to notice later that day (sunday) that his breathing changed lightly. He was breathing faster than normal but not like heavy breathing that you could notice. I decided to wait and see if anything changed and maybe becomes better but I was going to bring him monday which was today for a checkup. I woke up early to see if he was better but he was still breathing like that. When I called the vet she said I could come in the evening but I was really worried that he wouldn't make it. I tried to feed him, give him water and keep him warm and comfortable before his appointment. Arround 11 o'clock he started to breath heavily and it looked like he couldn't breath and started to cry out loud. I was panicking so I told my sister to call our vet and ask her to bring him immediately because he was not doing well. She didn't pick up so I asked her to call any vet so that we could bring him. A vet not far from us told us to bring him and when he checked him, he said that he was choking because there was fluid in his lungs something like that. He showed the x-ray and he said that he could see a black line close to his heart which is not normal and is air that shouldn't be in that place.

I was crying so much also because he kept saying that I came too late and i felt really guilty for not doing anything sooner. I still blame myself and i understand why he would say that but it's not that I did it intentionally. I had no experience and truly didn't know that it could be fatal. He put him on oxygen and said that he tried to get the fluid out but it didn't help much and he also was coughing the fluid out with puss plus his body temperature dropped to 34 degrees Celsius. He told me that he was struggling really hard and was in pain and the only option was to euthanize him. I was crying so much that I couldn't even reply back and my sister told me that it's better to let him go than suffer like this. I saw him lay there breathing with oxygen and his eyes half closed. He kept moving his little head looking at us. I couldn't even say goodbye properly because he was doing everything so fast when we agreed to it.

He said that he would give him something to fall asleep before euthanizing him but that didn't seem to work.when he gave him the injection he didn't fell asleep but struggled really hard to breath. After that he didn't wait and euthanized him but it was the worst thing I had ever seen in my life. He was crying and screaming and did everything in his power to resist. And the screams I heard were so bad that he asked me to leave the room and wait outside. I thought they wouldn't struggle and die peacefully but this was a nightmare. His screams are in my head and can't stop crying thinking about how much he must have suffered. I asked him about the injection and if he really didn't feel any pain but he had no time to explain because he had to go somewhere else so said to contact him later for questions.

If I wrote something wrong sorry for that, English is not my best.

Hope that someone can explain me more about this.

submitted by /u/NiceYard2860
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...