At my wits end with my cats 4am antics

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/yumions
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/yumions

My 3 year old male cat keeps waking me and partner up at 3AM.

Now don't get me wrong I love him to death and would never rehome him but it just keeps getting worse. It's taking a toll on us because he's so persistent and nothing seems to appease him.

First I thought he was just hungry, so I'd feed him but now he continues to pester us. He is extremely picky and will not eat his food if it's been sitting out a couple hours, so I figured I just needed to give him fresh food, but no.

The worst part is that he doesn't cry, he runs across us, trampling us, and he is a very large cat (not overweight just a very big boy) so needless to say it doesn't feel great to be woken up that way. If that doesn't work he will knock things over all night and specifically if there's any plastic in the room he will gnaw on it because he knows the crinkling sound will wake us up.

I'm at my wits end, I live in a basement and I don't have doors so there's no way to keep him out when we're sleeping.

It's taking a toll because I have to get up at 5 in the morning most days and the fact that he gets us up hours before is really disruptive.

I play with him for 20 minutes before bed to get his energy out, but it doesn't help. I feed him, he has toys and a scratching post. He has a whole upstairs and downstairs to explore, but he chooses to bug us.

The only thing we can do is put him in the bathroom, which i have only done once so far and only because i had absolutely 0 patience left. I feel terrible because it's such a small bathroom but I just don't know what else to do. Is it cruel to leave him in there until he cuts it out?

I thought he would chill out by now but he's only gotten more rambunctious. Yes, before anyone asks, he is neutered.

submitted by /u/yumions
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...