My 4 year old cat is in a Vet Clinic in critical condition and I don't know what to do with him.

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/FrostyPig34
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/FrostyPig34

My cat has been losing weight for the past month or so after he escaped from my apartment. I found him in the ceiling 5 days later and he was clearly malnourished and had lost weight. When I brought him back home I gave him extra food so he gains back his weight. I scheduled a vet appointmentment to give my cat anti parasitic medication because it was due time for me to do that and because my cat caught fleas.

Skipping to yesterday my cat still looked malnourished and I was gonna take him to the vet soon to figure out what was going on and how he can gain back his weight but I had to take him in immediately after noticing that suddenly he started being very lethargic and was trying to hide in places which was a horrible sign. I took him to my vet and it turned out that the situation was absolutely horrid.

My cat was very anemic, dehydrated, had a temperature of only 34.5° Celsius and barely had any immune cells left. The cat wasn't infected with anything but he also had jaundice and his liver, pancreas and kidneys were dysfunctional and/or failing. It was so bad to the point where the vet offered me euthanasia for my cat. I said no but he told me that he couldn't handle the treatment for my cat and I need to take him to a large vet clinic.

I went to a pretty large vet clinic, explained the situation and they took him in. They gave him Sodium Chloride to hydrate him and they warmed my cat too and they did some other things to treat his symptoms. I decided to leave my cat at the vet clinic where he would be under surveillance and they told me that they'll call me tomorrow morning to tell me about the condition my cat is in and any new updates.

They called me recently and told me that they did an ultrasound of the cat and that his kidneys had changed state, and that my cat remained in basically the same condition. Both the vets at the clinic and the first vet I visited think that my cat was likely poisoned due to the rapid onset of symptoms. I have no idea what my cat could've gotten poisoned from, he grabbed quite a large piece of blue cheese and I couldn't stop him but the vets told me that it wasn't possible for my cat to have gotten poisoned by it. What I am mostly asking about here is whether I should euthanize my cat. I am thinking of euthanizing him if his condition doesn't improve by tomorrow but I am not sure. Which is why I am asking for advice.

I've been feeling horrible for the past 2 days and it's difficult for me to comprehend how my cat is in a life and death situation.

submitted by /u/FrostyPig34
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...