Advice/Help?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/TypicalDayHowezr
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/TypicalDayHowezr

This might be a long post but I'll try to shorten it as much as I can with all the details.

I have a soon to be 16yr old Shihzuh. Recently, I'd say for almost the last month, he stopped touching his food. I tried every dog food I could find. He would probably eat a couple of bites then stop. So I would cook him plain chicken, white rice, sweet peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, and even pumpkin. Again, he would eat for a while then stop.

He has pancreatitis so depending on what he does eat, it's possible certain things upset his tummy. He was dx with a narrow trachea. With allergies etc he has super bad choking spells after he eats. To which I've put him in his doggie high chair, spoon feed him, barely rubbed his throat (because that makes it worse) and tried to calm him down as much as possible because it does put him into a panic and that doesn't help.

I took him to the vet finally. She said his BUN was up but that he had a gut infection. I was always under the impression BUN was for kidneys etc.

They gave him antibiotics, which he did well on until the last two days. Made him super sick. Called vet she said to take him off and to give him the Cerina for nausea.

He is eating a little. But not much. Again, won't even touch any type of dog food.

He is drinking a lot more than usual, which is causing him to pee more. And the vet said he was probably dehydrated so she gave him fluid under the skin as well.

Besides all of this, he is still his normal little chill self. He does have his little burst of energy.

I'm just wondering is there more I can do? I've taken him to four vets. Racked up insane debt but he is worth it.

I just feel like I'm failing him and I hate that.

Maybe someone has went through this or going through this with some advice?

TIA

submitted by /u/TypicalDayHowezr
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...