Is Australia, NZ and South East Asia: the whats, wheres and whens, and is this too much?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/Fuzzy-Item9496
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/Fuzzy-Item9496

Hi guys,

I'm going travelling from around September 1st to around December 20th with three of my friends from university (3.5 months), although nothing is booked yet. I'll explain my idea first, then I'd greatly appreciate a second perspective on everything including advice on what to skip, what to definitely visit, alternative locations, where to spend more/less time, and when to visit what. Even if you can't answer all of these I'd really appreciate all advice you have to give!

Now, we're all quite outdoorsy, social, people and I guess we'd call ourselves backpackers for simplicitys sake. Our idea of a great day is one in which we head out to national parks to hike and see nature, or perhaps spend a day walking 40 000 steps in a new city, and end the day with getting a beer with people from the hostel we're staying at.

So I thought of starting by flying out from Stockholm, Arlanda to Denpasar, Bali around September 1st. Spend around 1,5 weeks here just partying in its shoulder season, going out to the Gili islands and generally just enjoying life after all the blood, sweat and tears we poured out working June, July and August.

After Bali, the plan was to fly to Brisbane and hire a car/van to drive through the countryside to Sydney, check out naional parks along the way. I've just assumed that 3 weeks (September) would be enough for this.

Then, from Sydney, fly to Christchurch and spend 3 weeks (October) exploring the South Island. Visiting Milfrod sound, exploring the countryside, going wine-tasting and (maybe) daring to go bungee jumping.

At this point, it should be around October 23rd. The plan from hereon would be to fly from Christchurch to Hanoi and spend the last 8 weeks travelling through Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand to fly home from Bangkok around December 20th. I honestly have no clue what would sort of activities would suit us best here, but renting scooters, enjoying cheap beer, checking out beaches, meeting locals, meeting other backpackers, visiting temples, diving, etc. all sounds extremely fun.

So as I said earlier I'd greatly appreciate a second perspective on everything including advice on what to skip, what to definitely visit, alternative locations, where to spend more/less time, and when to visit what. Even if you can't answer all of these I'd really appreciate all advice you have to give!

submitted by /u/Fuzzy-Item9496
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...