Selecting a site and designing an forward military base for an architectural project.

reddit

Registered
Hello everyone,

First off, I apologies in advance, English isn't my first language and I'm not very educated on the topic developed here, that's why I'm calling for your input.
As part of my architecture studies, I am tasked with designing a small forward military base. The primary goal is a logistical and topological analysis, to understand the needs and functioning of a small operational military base and the solutions that can promote its autonomy. The project itself would be on a scale between a Forward Operating Base and a Combat Outpost (approx. 50 soldier camps), the first justifying more significant technical and logistical means and the latter being probably a more interesting site from a tactical or a architectural point of view.

I already gathered a lot of information on the technological side, regarding energy production, water and waste treatment, accommodations, etc... Basically all the elements that promote the autonomy of a base, which consequently reduces the number of logistical convoys that put life at risk. However most of the literature available online becomes scarce as soon as it starts to get more specific (program, layouts, distributions, technologies, operations, quantified needs, etc.), I imagine for security reasons. But perhaps some of you could direct me to more comprehensive sources on the subject?

I also have difficulties with the choice of a site. I don't have too much trouble identifying the advantages that an environment and topography can offer (access, visibility, resources, etc.), but on a larger scale, how can I justify the presence of a base in one place without being completely arbitrary or, on the contrary, going as far as a deep financial and logistical analysis? Maybe you have concrete examples from current or past intervention theaters that could justify the presence of a base in a specific location? This is also where the project is a bit bastard in its scale, because all the examples of FOBs I have, which almost exclusively concern Africa or the Middle East, are located on almost desert plains that present very little interest beyond the strategic one, unlike COPs.

I would appreciate any links, documents, references, or personal experiences you could share. My goal is to design a base that is not only militarily effective but also sustainable.

Thank you very much for your help and advice!

submitted by /u/Ankulay
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert