My boyfriend hates my cat. What do I do ?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/Radiant_Flower_3612
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/Radiant_Flower_3612

So the title says it all. My boyfriend hates my cat. My cat is the sweetest chunky boy, who loves attention but he does meow constantly. My boyfriend is allergic to cats and has never been around them in his life so it was quite an adjustment when we moved in together. For the first few months things were fine, my boyfriend was loving up on my cat, cuddling him and petting him all the time but in the past couple months he's been very irritated with him. He yells at him when he meows saying it makes him angry, he refuses to pet him anymore and even says that his purring makes him angry too. My cat on the other hand, loves my boyfriend so he tries to be around him all the time which just makes things worse (along with him never shutting up meowing). We have been having serious issues lately because he's been so angry at my cat making any kind of noise. I told my boyfriend how it makes me feel because I love both of them and he's been better with it lately because we both don't want to give up our relationship over something so small but I can still see my boy bothers him and I feel like I'm constantly on high alert so he doesn't make any noise and make my boyfriend angry. I've started getting up early to feed him so he doesn't wake him up by meowing (I'm exhausted from doing this already and it's only been a few weeks), I've tried feeding him smaller amounts more times during the day, I've tried to keep them separated as much as possible but there's no use as we live in a small apartment and nothing I do will stop him from meowing and now his purring making him angry.. well that's new but I'm not going to stop him from purring. I did tell my boyfriend that if he can't handle my cat making noise that it would be best for me to leave but that I do not see a future if that happens because it would be a step backwards in the relationship and also that animals make noise and I will always want an animal and it seems like he just doesn't want any.

I just don't know what to do at this point, I don't know if I can see this working out but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the resolution was ?

Please be kind, my boyfriend is amazing and would never hurt my cat. He absolutely knows how much my boy means to me and has never even thought of asking me to get rid of him either since I have had him a decade longer than I have been in this relationship. When I asked why he was so cuddly and loving with him at first he said he felt like it was what I wanted but after we spoke, he knows he doesn't have to be involved with my cat, I just don't want him to get so angry with him for making any noise.

What do I do ?

TLDR : My boyfriend gets angry when my cat makes noise but is trying to work on it for our relationship but I feel like I'm on edge all the time trying to keep my boy quiet so he doesn't make any noise. What can I do ?

submitted by /u/Radiant_Flower_3612
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert