MEPS says I won't get a bonus or school benefits despite being full time active infantry? (army)

reddit

Registered
Basically title. My recruiters told me I could be looking at $30-50k bonus (I had my doubts, but oh well) and more importantly, free college which I could give to my wife since I don't like school. I got a 93 on the ASVAB and my job is infantry if that matters.

But at MEPS they told me because I only have a GED, I could only enlist for ~3.5 years (minimum length contract). And they said you have to serve for 4+ years active to get the free college benefits. Since I have a GED I can't get a longer contract, my only option would be to re-up down the line and spend an additional 3-4 years in the army, which I'm not interested in.

I told this to the other recruiter while he drove me back to their office. He said me not getting a bonus was accurate cause of my GED, but he says me not getting free college is wrong. They say I will get it.

I don't really trust them anymore though. I could live without the bonus maybe, but I told my wife she could go to college for free and we were both very disappointed when I told them what MEPS said. It's making me reconsider whether I want to join the military because they lied pretty badly to me.

Basically, who's right? Can I send my wife to college for free if I (a GED holder) enlist for 3.5 years as infantry full-time active?

Edit: Idk if this is the right sub, but r/army won't let me post this for some reason.

submitted by /u/SauceMansBack
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert