Looking for a horror movie scary enough to recapture the feeling I had as a kid watching scary movies alone in my dark basement.

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/KholinAdolin
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/KholinAdolin

I love horror movies but haven’t actually felt scared during one in years. Of course I’ll jump at jump scares, but I’m looking for something that will actually terrify me. Basically, I’m trying to recapture the feeling of watching the first paranormal activity movie as a kid alone in a pitch black, windowless room, and being so terrified of the dark have to rip a metal bar off my bunk bed to defend myself while running back upstairs. (I’ve watched it again in the many years since, and most definitely do not get even remotely as spooked).

My criteria are: something human preferably, a dark story that could possibly be real. I delved into the phrogging genre for a while and was entertained but didn’t find one scary enough. I’d be interested in something more murdery or stalkery (the watcher show on Netflix was good). Something that will make me scared to go outside at night for a while.

I’m not opposed to supernatural horror and definitely enjoy them, but I don’t really get scared if the monster is shown. I enjoyed the first hellhouse llc (probably a controversial opinion, I know) but again wasn’t terrified. Smile and it follows sort of fall into this category and they were entertaining, but again, not scary enough.

I could list all the movies I’ve watched, but it would make my already long post even longer. I’m starting to think finding a movie that truly scares me is a lost cause. Maybe I’ve just grown too old to actually get scared from a movie? Would appreciate any and all recs even if I’ve seen them already.

submitted by /u/KholinAdolin
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...