Vermintide 2's Versus mode is real, currently in open alpha

• Thread starter Thread starter PCGamer LATEST
  • Start date Start date
P

PCGamer LATEST

Vermintide 2's Versus mode was first announced in 2019, after which developers Fatshark went dark on it. After four years of the usual suspects harvesting upvotes by whining about the absence of Versus mode and how they'd been lied to, it was finally confirmed as still being in the works last year, with the announcement of a closed alpha test. That closed alpha is now complete, and has been followed by an open alpha anyone can join directly from the Vermintide 2 main menu.

In a developer blog about the results of the closed alpha, design director Joakim Setterberg discussed some of the things Fatshark took away from the test. For starters, it went well. As Setterberg said, "we got a ton of good feedback, the servers were fairly stable and we did not see any overly alarming crashes or issues preventing play."

Just over 3,600 players got to try the mode, playing PvP across the Screaming Bell map, "with 7% ending in draws, and with matches concluding in general within 20-30 minutes". Apparently the Heroes outperformed the Pactsworn—not too surprising since players are already used to playing them—and so that's where a lot of rebalancing will come in. Players may already be seeing the results of that in the current alpha, where those dastardly hookrats are doing quite well for themselves.

The current map being tested is Righteous Stand, which players fight across over the course of several rounds. Up to four players can participate on each side, alternately playing as Heroes and Pactsworn specials in each round. A scoreboard at the end of the match lets you know which team is the overall winner.

This round of testing will run until March 18. If you're not interested in PVP, a six-year anniversary event is running at the same time, giving double XP and re-enabling the pub crawl map called A Quiet Drink. You'll find it under the Weekly Event tab in matchmaking. Complete the map during this event, and you'll earn a new anniversary portrait frame for your avatar.

Continue reading...

Monday? Again? Let's make the best of it with an easy Wordle win. If you want that to take the form of the world's fastest victory then you're in luck, because here you're never more than a quick click away from today's answer. If you'd rather just have a fresh clue to fall back on, we can help with that too, as a hint for the March 11 (996) game's ready and waiting for you just below.

The grey letters that kept popping up turned out to be the driving force behind today's Wordle win. It was less a case of me finding the answer, and more that the answer found me, the only word left that would slot into place around the few greens I'd unearthed. With a bit of luck, I'll get to be more proactive tomorrow.

Wordle today: A hint​

Wordle hint

(Image credit: Josh Wardle)

Wordle today: A hint for Monday, March 11​

Today's answer refers to something annoying, a minor irritation, or one more problem you didn't see coming. Think of a dog digging up a garden, a kid with their hand in the cookie jar again), or a fly that just won't stop buzzing around. There's only one vowel to find today.

Is there a double letter in Wordle today?​

No letters are used twice in today's puzzle.

Wordle help: 3 tips for beating Wordle every day​

If you've decided to play Wordle but you're not sure where to start, I'll help set you on the path to your first winning streak. Make all your guesses count and become a Wordle winner with these quick tips:

• A good opener has a mix of common vowels and consonants.
  • The answer could contain the same letter, repeated.
  • Avoid words that include letters you've already eliminated.

You're not racing against the clock so there's no reason to rush. In fact, it's not a bad idea to treat the game like a casual newspaper crossword and come back to it later if you're coming up blank. Sometimes stepping away for a while means you can come back with a fresh perspective.

Today's Wordle answer​

Wordle answers

(Image credit: Future)

What is today's Wordle answer?​

Let's get the week started. The answer to the March 11 (996) Wordle is PESKY.

Previous Wordle answers​

The last 10 Wordle answers​

Previous Wordle solutions can help to eliminate guesses for today's Wordle, as the answer isn't likely to be repeated. They can also give you some solid ideas for starting words that keep your daily puzzle-solving fresh.

Here are some recent Wordle answers:

• March 10: GRASP
  • March 9: CHEER
  • March 8: EARLY
  • March 7: CLONE
  • March 6: TEARY
  • March 5: HUNCH
  • March 4: FLAME
  • March 3: STATE
  • March 2: URBAN
  • March 1: FORTY

Learn more about Wordle​

Today's Wordle being played on a phone

(Image credit: Nurphoto via Getty)

There are six rows of five boxes presented to you by Wordle each day, and you'll need to work out which five-letter word is hiding among them to win the daily puzzle.

Start with a strong word like ALIVE—or any other word with a good mix of common consonants and multiple vowels. You should also avoid starting words with repeating letters, so you don't waste the chance to confirm or eliminate an extra letter. Once you've typed your guess and hit Enter, you'll see which letters you've got right or wrong. If a box turns ⬛️, it means that letter isn't in the secret word at all. means the letter is in the word, but not in that position. means you've got the right letter in the right spot.

Your second guess should compliment the first, using another "good" word to cover any common letters you might have missed on the first row—just don't forget to avoid any letter you now know for a fact isn't present in today's answer. After that, it's just a case of using what you've learned to narrow your guesses down to the correct word. You have six tries in total and can only use real words and don't forget letters can repeat too (eg: BOOKS).

If you need any further advice feel free to check out our Wordle tips, and if you'd like to find out which words have already been used you can scroll to the relevant section above.

Originally, Wordle was dreamed up by software engineer Josh Wardle, as a surprise for his partner who loves word games. From there it spread to his family, and finally got released to the public. The word puzzle game has since inspired tons of games like Wordle, refocusing the daily gimmick around music or math or geography. It wasn't long before Wordle became so popular it was sold to the New York Times for seven figures. Surely it's only a matter of time before we all solely communicate in tricolor boxes.

Continue reading...

Desktop condenser mics, if you think about it, have to do quite a difficult job. From a reasonable distance, a microphone is expected to sit on your desk—likely near to a PC with fan noise and other interference-emitting devices—and pick up a good vocal signal, while hopefully rejecting as much unwanted noise as is reasonable. And, let's face it, it'd be nice if it looked good while it was doing it, too.

The Razer Seiren V3 Chroma has the last part down at the very least. Pulling it from its packaging reveals a handsome, pill-shaped device with a screw-in base and a matte finish that looks suitably professional. It's tiltable on its stand thanks to two nicely knurled side mounted knobs, and features just the one solitary dial at first glance.

Oi, who's gone and nicked all me controls then, you may well think, or at least I did as a previous near-London resident.

A closer inspection reveals that at the very top of the device is a hidden touch control for muting and other functions. Besides that, there's just a small USB Type-C connector around the back and a 3.5mm jack for headphone output. Minimalist, this little mic, although it feels and looks rather good doing it.

Seiren V3 Chroma specs

The Razer Seiren V3 Chroma on a desktop, lit up in red

(Image credit: Andy Edser)

Polar patterns: Supercardioid
Connectivity: USB
Recording Sample Rate: 24-bit 96kHz
Frequency response: 20–20,000Hz
Features: Built-in Chroma RGB lighting, front dial, rear USB Type-C connectivity, 3.5mm headphone output
Price: $130/£130

All that minimalism, however, goes away the second you plug it in. The Seiren V3 treats you to a frankly blazing display of colours on first connection, all emitted from underneath the holes of its substantial grille.

This is likely going to be a love it or hate it affair from the off, but personally as a fan of a bit of RGB illumination I did enjoy the effect, although at default settings it is surprisingly bright. Time to install the Razer Synapse software then, and get to grips with the options.

After a bit of update wrangling (and a required reboot, I might add) to get Synapse to behave itself and log me in reliably—and this isn't my first rodeo, messing around with Synapse and its tendency to be fiddly—you are eventually greeted with a mic menu screen that at first glance is blissfully easy to use.

There are sliders for microphone and headphone gain, dropdown menus to choose between two different functions for the front dial (microphone volume and headphone volume, if you were wondering) and options to configure that aforementioned top-mounted touch control.

Here you can configure the extra tap functions. One tap on the top mutes the mic and turns it an attractive shade of red, which should make it blissfully easy to tell if you've accidentally cut the audio on the mic itself on your next remote meeting. Two or three taps can be configured in a variety of ways, including cycling the Chroma RGB effects, turning them off entirely, or even using them as an audio meter.

I tried the latter, but disabled it very quickly. The RGB flashes on and off when it picks up a suitably loud signal, including the clacking of a mechanical keyboard, which means while writing this review I was subject to a series of eye-searing flashes with the setting on. A gradual flow of lighting from subtle green to stronger tones to indicate signal strength would be much easier on the eyes, but alas, I couldn't find an option for it

Image 1 of 6

The Razer Seiren V3 Chroma lit up in green on a desktop

Image 2 of 6

The Razer Seiren V3 Chroma microphone on a desktop, lights off, with the included cable

Image 3 of 6

The volume and headphone gain dial on the front of the Razer Seiren V3 Chroma

Image 4 of 6

The rear USB port and headphone jack for the Razer Seiren V3 Chroma microphone

Image 5 of 6

The top touch button of the Razer Seiren V3 Chroma

Image 6 of 6

The Razer Seiren V3 Chroma lit up in blue, on a desk

If you find the RGB LEDs in general to be on the strong side, flipping over to the lighting menu gives your a plethora of other options, including a much-needed slider to turn it down to something more reasonable, or even off entirely. Here I configured the Seiren V3 to deliver some pleasing, ever changing glows that would likely look good on your next stream cam. Ahhh. Much more soothing.

Anyway, enough about the pretty lights. Time for some audio tests, and for this I booted up Audacity, set the gain to something reasonable, and recorded some audio test clips you can find below:

You may notice that there's some background noise, including a distinct buzz with a little hiss, on a relatively low gain setting of 30 out of 100. I find it particularly obvious in 'dead air' sections like the two to three seconds at the end of the clip. I tried it in different USB ports and at different distances to try and figure out where it might be coming from on my otherwise quiet setup, but with no joy. I've recorded a fair few microphones from this system and in this room with no such issues, but it seems the Seiren V3 Chroma likes to add a bit of unwanted (and as best as I can tell, non-existent) background noise.

Searching around the settings for a software solution, again I thought I might be missing something. There's a high pass filter, which I had engaged, a digital gain limiter and auto gain control, but no actual noise suppression, reduction or noise gate option.

Not only that, but there's no adjustable EQ either. Luckily enough, as you can hear in the test clips, the little Razer does deliver a fairly warm, round rendition of your vocals on default settings, which is reasonably pleasant. It'd be nice to be able to tweak it, but in all honesty the depth of sound is pretty decent by default, so a mark in its favour there.

A screenshot of the Razer Seiren V3 Chroma mic settings in the Razer Synapse software

(Image credit: Razer)

However, it did have a little bit of a low input at even a relatively close range, even when pushing my dull baritone up to volumes that I would consider slightly obnoxious. Of course, you can turn up the gain to compensate, but without a proper noise suppressor this only makes the background noise worse, so I ended up putting the mic closer to me than I normally would to minimise it.

Of course, the closer you have a microphone to you, the better it's able to pick up your vocals, but given the need to boost the gain here and the lack of ability to properly tame unwanted noise, I found this limited where I could place the mic on my desk in order to get acceptable audio.

You could mount it on a boom arm to get it away from unwanted audio sources and nearer to your mouth for lower gain usage, and facility is provided for that via the socket that screws into the bottom of the base. However, for its primary purpose of sitting on your desk in its mount, looking pretty and capturing good audio, the Razer likes to get up close and personal to properly perform.

Where the software does shine, however, is the Stream Mixer settings. Here you can configure your inputs and outputs and your playback mix very easily thanks to some straightforward drop down menus, complete with an option to open Windows very own audio settings from within the app. That's a nice touch, and other audio software suites would do well to emulate it.

A screenshot of the Stream Mixer settings in the Razer Synapse software

(Image credit: Razer)

While the Razer Seiren V3 Chroma is a very pretty thing, and is definitely capable of picking up a useable audio signal, its tendency to rely on higher gain settings in combination with a lack of software to tame them means it's a bit of a wild horse without the appropriate reins.

Buy if...

✅ If you love the RGB look: The Seiren V3 Chroma lights up in all sorts of interesting ways, and if you like a microphone that looks the part on stream, it's bound to have a setting for you.

✅ If you're looking for a warm sound: While the Razer didn't excel in our audio tests, the sound profile is fairly warm, and has a good EQ balance at default for most users.

Don't buy if...

❌ If you want a totally clean signal: While the Seiren V3 isn't the noisiest mic I've ever heard, it did introduce an audible buzz and hiss even at low-ish gain settings, and you can't get rid of it without third-party apps.

❌ If you're on a budget: At $130/£130, it's pretty pricey for what is essentially a slightly noisy condenser mic with some pretty lights.

You could, of course, make use of a third-party plugin for noise suppression duties, but given that this mic is marketed on the box as a plug and play audio device "for fuss-free setup" and comes in at a substantial price, you'd hope that it would come with a workable solution already built-in, and well, it doesn't.

That being said, it's not the only mic in a similar price range that's a little bit lacking on the software noise-reduction features, including the similarly light-up HyperX Quadcast S that currently takes the "best looking" spot on our list of the best microphones for gaming.

However, the HyperX also comes with a fancy elasticated shockmount and a range of directional patterns to pick from, and while the Razer professes to have a built-in shock absorber I still found it prone to picking up desk taps and clunks relatively easily, especially as I had to place it close to my keyboard to minimise the background noise.

If you don't mind skipping the RGB lighting, you could also pick up an Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ for around half the money. It skimps out on audio software entirely, but it also provides a lovely rounded-yet-crisp sound, and if that's all you're after and you don't mind adding some third-party solutions of your own then it's difficult to see why you'd go for the Razer instead, unless you really are sold on the smaller form factor and the very shiny lights.

It likes being the centre of attention, this little mic, but while the Stream Mixer settings are great and the aesthetics are pleasing, it really could do with some decent noise reduction to help clean up its act.

Continue reading...

If you've ever written a book and had it professionally published, you'll know that your work is protected by copyright laws. There are exemptions and limitations, such as fair usage, but all of it is very clear and strict. However, three American authors have filed a lawsuit, claiming that Nvidia is guilty of breaching said laws by using their work without permission, to train its LLM toolkit called NeMo.

Generative AI models, such as GPT-3, Llama, and Dall-e, require huge amounts of data to train them and make it possible to use the model in tools like ChatGPT and Copilot. In the case of NeMo, it's technically a framework for AI developers, helping to make it easier to create, tweak, and distribute their own large language models (LLMs).

But even so, it still has to undergo AI training and additionally, Nvidia offers a range of pre-trained models in its cloud service. The Reuters report on the lawsuit (via Seeking Alpha) is a touch light on details, but it's early days for the case as it was only filed last week. The three authors in question (Brian Keene, Abdi Nazemian, and Stewart O'Nan) are claiming that one of the very large datasets Nvidia used for its training contains copies of their published works and the use was done without permission.

Normally in such legal cases, the defence focuses on it being an example of 'fair use' and Meta has even gone as far as to say that it's essentially no different to how a child learns by being exposed to speech and text around it.

On the other hand, those that have filed lawsuits in the past, such as the New York Times, have said that this is simply about the AI world not being willing to pay the due fees for works that are not only protected by copyright laws but have also correctly registered their work with the appropriate authorities.

Your next upgrade

Nvidia RTX 4070 and RTX 3080 Founders Edition graphics cards

Best CPU for gaming: The top chips from Intel and AMD.
Best gaming motherboard: The right boards.
Best graphics card: Your perfect pixel-pusher awaits.
Best SSD for gaming: Get into the game ahead of the rest.

Defendants of generative AI typically have a different view: If you've read a multitude of books and then go on to write your own bestseller, is your work in breach of copyright? LLMs don't automatically use exact copies of the material used in the training and if you've ever used something like Stable Diffusion and told it to draw you a famous painting, you'll get one like it, but not a picture that's a direct copy.

It's a complex situation, no doubt, but if this class action case is successful, it will almost certainly be followed by countless more, as the dataset in question used nearly 200,000 novels, short stories, textbooks, and so on. All of that material is copyrighted, though not necessarily all of it has been registered.

Either way, the AI lawsuit train is showing no signs of slowing down and I should imagine a great number of writers, artists, musicians, and designers will be paying close attention to the outcome of this particular case. Choo, choo!

Continue reading...

The Kanto Ora desktop speakers first underwhelmed me with their look, only to overwhelm me with their sound. When it comes to visuals, I don't know if I could pick the Ora out of a hypothetical speaker lineup (or what kind of crime they may have committed to get put there) but once I start cranking the bass and blasting tunes, it starts to matter less and less.

There's a certain confidence in the aesthetic of the Kanto Ora speakers. They don't need to be crammed with RGB, or have angular architecture to catch the eye—all the Kanto Ora needs to do is catch the ear, and it does this very well.

Out of the box, the Oras just need to be hooked up to a power socket, plugged into each other, then connected to an audio source. Unfortunately, the box only comes with the power lead and cable to link the two speakers up so you have to source your own USB-C or RCA cables to get it online.

If you lack any of these, it does have a rather great Bluetooth mode, but this can be somewhat limiting as Bluetooth doesn't support lossless FLAC Audio. No aux jack means getting very high-quality audio from your phone is a challenge but this is admittedly, a bit of a niche use case.

Ora specs

Kanto Ora reference speakers

Connectivity: Bluetooth, RCA, USB-C
Speakers: 2 x 0.75 inch tweeters, 2 x 3 inch subwoofers
Weight: 2kg
Frequency response: 70Hz – 22,000Hz
Price: $350 | £309

Being someone who throws my spare cables into a miscellaneous bag like a sitcom character trying to clean their apartment before a date arrives, this meant a few minutes of fishing around for wires before I could get everything set up right. However, once you get your cables together, everything functions perfectly. And, with the ability to flit between Bluetooth and wired mode by just clicking the front of the right speaker, I often found myself passively swapping audio sources in seconds.

This is a real privilege that hits at what makes the Kanto Ora speakers work so well—they feel designed to fit unobtrusively into a space. They aren't a centerpiece but a supporting actor. They are the bassline holding the groove down while my RGB-laden PC shreds all over it.

You do pay quite a lot for that supporting act, especially when you consider you can get many of the best PC speakers for less. However, this shows in not only a strong build quality and connectivity options but also a great sound. Without any extra add-ons, the Ora can get very bassy, especially when you boost it and let the speakers boom.

Image 1 of 2

Image 2 of 2

Fortnite’s eclectic mix of emote sounds, Fortnite Jam songs, and the hail of gunfire all come through clearly and drive home the annoyingly fun overstimulation at the core of its gameplay. Dead By Daylight, with a litany of scratch effects and vaguely horrible squelches also feel full and real —the only time I’ve been pleasantly surprised that a wet slap noise feels lifelike.

Due to the Ora's almost comedically small size, my partner thought it would be funny to test out the Kanto Ora on Rebecca Black's terribly catchy Friday hyper-pop remix. As the bass connected and fully rocked her little PC stand, we both felt the horrifying silence of worrying the next day would be accompanied by a noise complaint. Luckily, the neighbours didn't seem to mind the small earthquake we had summoned.

Some bassy setups can fall into the trap of neglecting the rest of the soundscape so my next test was The Hotelier's wonderfully dynamic and sorrowful "Home, Like Noplace is There". It passed with flying colours, placing the sharp jangle of an overdriven guitar and warmth of harmony effortlessly. By the time I got to "Housebroken" in the middle of the album, I was enthralled with the sound, and that's only partially because of how great the song is. When at lower volumes, the mids can feel a tad hollow in comparison to everything else, but not so much that I felt I was hugely missing out.

Image 1 of 3

Image 2 of 3

Kanto Sub8 sbuwoofer

Image 3 of 3

Buy if...

✅ You want a clean no-nonsense setup: Thanks to a fairly understated look and small form factor, these speakers work excellently on my desk that is, admittedly, too small for most audiophile setups.

✅ You want something for a phone too: Given the speakers support USB-C connectivity, as well as Bluetooth and RCA, you can connect it to your phone and desktop easily. You do lose out on lossless FLAC audio when connected to Bluetooth but that USB-C connector means you can connect it to most phones.

✅ You want great sound: These do just sound great, with a surprisingly bassy offering, even without the subwoofer. For their stature, you can crank the noise and get something that sounds excellent.

Don't buy if...

❌ You're on a budget: These are a great choice but, being north of $300, and even more, if you want the perfect setup, they are quite expensive. You can get a reasonable experience out of a cheaper set of speakers, even if it won't be as good.

❌ You want something flashy: Though the audio quality does wow me, the looks certainly don't. They function cleanly but, if you want a gaming setup worthy of a Zoomer TikTok, you may be better off looking elsewhere.

❌ You want a dedicated gaming speaker: The Kanto Ora are at their absolute best as multimedia speakers for gaming, listening to music, watching movies, and more. For a similar price, you can get speakers with dedicated gaming features but these are perfect for a more general use.

Being over six inches tall, four inches wide, and mine being all black, the Kanto Ora looks understated on a desk, and this is only made better with Kanto's speaker stands. Though $60 for what are essentially metal brackets feels quite expensive for a job that a few books can do almost as well, it's hard to deny the quality on offer here. The brackets come in a few different sizes and this can affect the presentation of sound from the speakers, given their size and placement in the room.

This brings me to the most expensive, yet greatest, add-on available—the Kanto SUB8 subwoofer. Priced at $80 less than the speakers themselves, this subwoofer can be connected by the sub-out output on the back of the speakers and plugged into the mains separately.

Like the speakers, the SUB8 has a clean, effective design language without much flash. It offers textured and clear bass, providing a grander soundscape in online shooters for a real rumble as you hit the trigger. For most people, the SUB8 is probably too much for their sound setup but it's still an excellent addition for anyone with both the desire and spare cash.

The Kanto Ora is missing some of the features one might wish for in gaming speakers, such as spatial audio compatibility or a dedicated app for messing around with EQ settings on the go, but this can still be done through third-party apps and software. Out of the box, the speakers sound great, even if you may want to tone down that bass sometimes.

Though calling something a 'reference speaker' can sometimes be a bit of a marketing gimmick, the phrase seems apt when referring to the Kanto Ora. Traditionally, this is used to denote speakers that give an accurate playback to a studio speaker, with neutral EQ. If you're looking to produce music, it's a near must, so you don't create a song specifically for your speakers, only to find it incredibly bass-boosted in a natural set of speakers.

This can be more unforgiving on poorly produced sound but also gives the 'purest' version of a song when tuned accurately. As someone who uses my PC to game, produce music, listen to movies, edit videos, and so much more, I've loved my time with these speakers and it's not just because they fit onto the desk easily—though they do.

Continue reading...

As PC players, we've had ample reason to gripe about the culture of console exclusivity for some time—these games are running on hardware that's often a smidge outdated by the time it hits the shelves, yet we can't get our grubby little mitts on them?

Granted, there's plenty of reasons as to why a dev team would want to optimise something for a specific loadout—the PC's breadth of potential compatibility issues are a complete nightmare, especially as games get bigger in scope.

PlayStation has been a particular pain point over the past few years, with some genuinely excellent games like Final Fantasy 7 Remake, 2018's God of War, and Insomniac's Spider-Man taking their sweet time to mosey on over to Steam. Trends have continued with Rebirth, God of War: Ragnarök, and Spider-Man 2 respectively.

But worry not, fair keyboard warrior—it seems like the tide is largely turning according to both PlayStation's current president, and now its former one too. That's according to an interview with ex-head honcho Shawn Layden, courtesy of GamesBeat.

"When your costs for a game exceed $200 million," Layden says, "Exclusivity is your Achilles' heel. It reduces your addressable market. Particularly when you're in the world of live service gaming or free-to-play. Another platform is just another way of opening the funnel, getting more people in."

Layden's reasoning here—that console exclusivity primarily hurts live service games—is a smidge corporate, especially considering many of the PlayStation exclusives I've been drooling over are single-player. Still, when he notes that "in a free-to-play world, as we know, 95% percent of those people will never spend a nickel … You have to improve your odds by cracking the funnel open", he's not necessarily wrong.

An image of Kratos from God of War Ragnarok sat in a frigid cave, while his son enters stage left with a deer.

(Image credit: Santa Monica Studio)

The recent wave of live service games has followed a very similar pattern to the wave of MMORPGs in 2010-2020. As I pointed out last year, the problem is still very much the same: A big thing becomes popular, companies want to make their own version of the big thing, spend a bunch of money to do so, then watch it collapse under its own weight. The gaming ecosystem can only support a few of these giants before the whole thing buckles and breaks.

While a live service golden goose is still being chased by many developers, it's actually really hard to get one off the ground. Layden adds: "Helldivers 2 has shown that for PlayStation, coming out on PC at the same time. Again, you get that funnel wider. You get more people in." I do think part of Helldivers 2's success is down to its fairer premium currency system, but the wider player pool doesn't hurt.

As for single-player titles, Layden says there's grounds to benefit there too: "For single-player games it's not the same exigency. But if you're spending $250 million, you want to be able to sell it to as many people as possible, even if it's just 10% more." He notes that while the console user base has increased its raw spending over time, "I look at that and see that we’re just taking more money from the same people."

This is mostly just further evidence to stack onto the pile that—no, PC gaming isn't dead. It's also cause to cross my fingers even harder that we'll eventually see the end of these year-long waits—though whether we'll see more day-one releases like Helldivers 2 is another question entirely. The prestige of "Only on PlayStation" games is still a huge part of the company's strategy, so we could just be looking at a shorter window, rather than a closed one.

Continue reading...

A key Intel exec has recently admitted that the company is more heavily reliant on third-party manufacturing than it would like. As an outfit that always prided itself on making everything it sold, the expectation that entire CPUs of its upcoming Arrow Lake generation might be made by TSMC, and not at Intel fabs, will be a source of frustration within the company.

In a conference call with investment bank Morgan Stanley, the Chief Financial Officer of Intel discussed how things were going in the chip giant's foundries, market shares, and what's happening next. When asked about its relationship with TSMC, the CFO said everything was great, despite being a competitor, but that Intel was relying a little too heavily on external foundries compared to its own for chip-making duties.

Morgan Stanley and David Zinser, Chief Financial Officer of Intel, were recently discussing (via Seeking Alpha) Intel's current status in terms of making chips, how things were fairing, and what the near future was looking like.

One topic of focus was the reliance on TSMC for fabrication duties, and Zinser remarked "I think probably, we are a little bit heavier than we want to be in terms of external wafer manufacturing versus internal, but we're always going to use external foundries for wafers."

TSMC is one of the largest semiconductor companies in the world, and its chip fabrication plants (aka foundries) churn out more chunks of silicon than any other company. Its order books for the very best process nodes, the name given to the overall manufacturing sequence for chips, are taken up mostly by AMD, Apple, Nvidia, and Qualcomm, but Intel also relies on TSMC to make a large portion of its key chips.

For example, the GPUs used in Arc graphics cards and the monstrous data centre processors are all made by TSMC. However, so too are most of the tiles in the current Meteor Lake-powered Core Ultra laptop chips, as will the next generation of desktop CPUs. Rather than use a single chunk of silicon, Intel has been steadily moving towards a situation where the majority of its CPUs will comprise multiple tiles (or chiplets).

Intel Meteor Lake

(Image credit: Intel)

If you could peel apart a Core Ultra 7 155H, you'd see four tiles nestled together on top of an interposer, essentially a big base tile. Only the latter and the primary compute tile, which contains all the P and most of the E cores, are made by Intel. For this, the chip giant has been heavily pushing forward with its foundry technologies, with a lot of hopes pinned on its forthcoming 18A process node.

The rest of the tiles (graphics, SoC, and IO) are all fabricated by TSMC, though, in a variety of its foundries.

None of this will change with Battlemage, Lunar Lake, and Arrow Lake, in fact there might even be more reliance on TSMC, with some rumours suggesting even the compute tiles of some Arrow Lake chips will be manufacturer outside of Intel and not on their own super-special new process node.

These are the next generation of GPU and CPU architectures Intel is targeting for release at some point this year, and given that Intel is planning to not only maintain its market share in the CPU industry but expand it if possible, and especially increase its GPU share, then TSMC's order books are going to be full a good while longer.

Your next upgrade

Nvidia RTX 4070 and RTX 3080 Founders Edition graphics cards

Best CPU for gaming: The top chips from Intel and AMD.
Best gaming motherboard: The right boards.
Best graphics card: Your perfect pixel-pusher awaits.
Best SSD for gaming: Get into the game ahead of the rest.

It wasn't all that long ago that Intel made everything it sold, but how times have changed. Not only is it heavily reliant on TSMC for the majority of its consumer-grade CPUs and GPUs, it's also transitioning to become a manufacturer for other companies. So on the one hand, Intel is going to become an increasingly important customer for TSMC but also a rival in the foundry business.

Zinser also admitted that Intel "missed the EUV thing and that set us back." Extreme ultraviolet (EUV) is the type of electromagnetic wave used in the most cutting-edge of process nodes. For example, TSMC uses it for all its N7+ and newer nodes, all of which are heavily utilised by AMD, Apple, Nvidia, and Intel, of course.

I'm sure that Intel feels a sense of bitterness regarding the delay in employing EUV in its foundries and how it's part of the reason why it has to rely on TSMC so much, and will continue to do so for a good while yet. For the end user, though, all that matters is that this somewhat unusual customer-competitor relationship ultimately results in CPUs and GPUs that are fast and affordable.

Continue reading...

You can now secure a new melee weapon in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Season 2 Reloaded, but it is no mere knife bling. This weapon can eviscerate any poor soul with a riot shield.

Named Soulrender, presumably by My Chemical Romance, this sword has a unique ability in MW3 in that it can swiftly slice-up enemies and deal out some hardcore heavy attacks. Some players have taken full advantage of this killer combo and are using it to single-handedly wipe out enemy teams or get as close as possible.

"If you're not going to go for that cool animation, what's the point of using this weapon?" one Youtuber, Handler, said during a kill compilation using the sword in question.

There are two ways to use the Soulrender. Right-click is a rapid slash, but left-click performs the deadly animation as you cut the enemy's neck twice, killing them instantly. It does seem slightly overpowered, with players being able to execute others as soon as they get anywhere close to arm's length. Even when the enemy team is trying to keep their distance, a quick ninja run can dispose of them from behind before they even know what's going on.

One of the biggest assets of the Soulrender is against Riot Shield users—a simple left click will instantly dispose of them. Sledgehammer Games confirmed that this trick is intentional in MW3 multiplayer, according to a tweet from CharlieIntel, meaning that the Soulrender is the only melee weapon that can do this.

In the hands of a decent player, Soulrender can look pretty broken, especially if you use perks like covert sneakers, which eliminate footstep sounds, or lightweight boots that can improve movement speed. But there is a risk-reward to the weapon, and if you're just running headfirst at someone aiming their BAS-B at you, then you probably won't get very far.

If you want to try Soulrender out for yourself, it's not hard to get a hold of. All you have to do is complete Sector B21 in the Season 2 Battle Pass. This is a new sector introduced in the latest update to give players more things to unlock. However, instead of using Battle Pass Tokens, you'll have to complete challenges such as earning all sector rewards.

After this, you can have fun slashing the dreams of every Riot Shield user you find, and jumping around looking for the next unsuspecting victim.

Continue reading...

A newly published US Government Accountability Report (GAO) looks at the role of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Homeland Security in combating domestic violent extremism online, and in the process reveals what we surely all knew anyway. Discord? Reddit? Roblox. All your base are belong to the Feds!

The GAO report (first picked up by The Intercept) is more wide-ranging than just gaming, but is essentially focused on online communication platforms of all sorts, how US government and law enforcement agencies interact with them, and what the companies themselves are and should be doing about extreme content. The report is based on interviews with five companies that have been coordinating with the FBI and DHS: Roblox, Discord, Reddit, plus one gaming publisher and one social media company that asked to remain anonymous. Insert your guesses here.

The nature of this cooperation when it comes to the gaming companies is essentially that the DHS holds meetings at which they share information "about online activities promoting domestic violent extremism" or even stuff that violates their terms of service. The companies provide leads on anything that may potentially be illegal and the FBI follows up. In addition to this Discord and Roblox have a "trusted flagger" program through which "approved subject matter experts in extremism can use a streamlined channel to report potentially violating content."

We'll get into the weeds of what the government thinks such content may include, but the report offers some examples. "Researchers have identified user-generated re-creations of mass shootings on the gaming platform Roblox, such as the 2019 shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand, and the 2022 shooting in Buffalo, New York. Roblox officials told us their moderation team reviewed their content moderation tools and adjusted them to block these games and prevent content glorifying violent incidents from appearing on the platform."

Recreations of real world mass shootings (and on a platform with a huge young audience) are one thing, but what may worry some is how vague and potentially over-reaching the US government is about what may constitute domestic violent extremism. Since 2019 it has defined five types of domestic terrorism threat: racially motivated extremism, anti-government and anti-authority extremism, animal rights and environmental extremism, abortion-related extremism, then the catch-all of any other domestic terror threats.

These categories are so broad that people may rightly wonder where the line is between responsible intervention (such as with the Roblox examples) and the potential for Big Brother overreach when someone is having a normal one online about how much they hate the government or the repeal of Roe vs. Wade. To give the report its due, it does acknowledge the big unanswered questions about the friction between the above and Americans' free speech rights, but it's not like the FBI is known for its nuanced approach towards potential extremists: in recent decades it's been behind some shocking lapses and botched schemes, and been accused of entrapment of suspects multiple times.

Nevertheless, this is not going away: the GAO was asked to investigate domestic violent extremists' use of games, gaming-related platforms and social media by the House Homeland Security Committee, and it follows Congressional pressure being applied to various major gaming publishers early last year.

This all arguably stems from the storming of the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, by supporters of former President Donald Trump, an event which saw the then-incoming Biden administration swiftly designate domestic terrorism as "the most urgent terrorism threat facing the United States" once in office and create the first nation-wide strategy for combating it. In this strategy the US government specifically cites "online gaming platforms" as the kind of places where "recruiting and mobilizing individuals to domestic terrorism occurs."

This report was commissioned in order to make recommendations and, generally speaking, it spells-out what US authorities are currently doing and what they should be doing in the future. It ends by saying both the FBI and the DHS's Intelligence and Analysis division should develop their own "strategy and goals for sharing information related to domestic violent extremism with social media and gaming companies."

In civilian speak, that means by this summer both agencies will be issuing their own forward-looking plans for coordinating with gaming and gaming related platforms, and basically telling the publishers what they want to see. Meantime? Enjoy Roblox. Just maybe save the venting about Climate Change for Disc… oh.

Continue reading...

Hogwarts Legacy is by certain metrics the most successful game of 2023, with a Warner Bros. exec purring at the start of the year that the Harry Potter RPG was the "best-selling game of the year in the entire industry worldwide." That commercial success, with over 22 million sales and counting, has brought renewed focus on whether the game will eventually receive an expansion or any significant DLC (beyond some formerly PlayStation-exclusive trinkets crossing over).

Earlier this year the game's developer, WB Avalanche, said that new things would indeed be coming this summer, which had wizards and witches rushing to their Divination equipment. There are several features oft-requested by the community that seem like a good shout for inclusion: a photo mode, for example. Others such as the inclusion of Quidditch, given that Warner Bros is developing a standalone Quidditch game, seem quite unlikely.

It may be that some have been getting too excited, because now Hogwarts Legacy's community manager has stepped in to somewhat quell expectations. "We are thrilled that you are all excited for the free update to Hogwarts Legacy this summer," writes Chandler Wood on X. "We love seeing all the guesses and hopes for what will be part of this update, and while we are not ready to talk about it yet, I do want to set some expectations for what we are working on.

Brace yourselves Muggles: "Our original wording of 'additional updates and features for the game' was very intentional. This update is a small way of us showing appreciation to our players for the amazing reception to the game."

You could sit here all day trying to parse that, but "small way of us showing appreciation" definitely seems to be encouraging some fans to take a cold shower. This may be because, as well as fairly reasonable asks like photo mode, other popular requests include things like a NG+ mode and a major expansion. The former wouldn't easily mesh with Hogwarts Legacy's structure (where you balance the action while learning new spells at school), while the latter… Well, Warner Bros likes money and it would sell gangbusters. But the bigger question is whether WB Avalanche's time is best spent there.

Whatever Hogwarts Legacy has in store, we're not going to be short of Potter-related games and more in the years to come. Warner Bros regards the Potterverse as one of its "blue chip" properties, which Hogwarts Legacy has arguably proven, and as well as Quidditch Champions there's a new HBO series on the way and lord knows what else.

Continue reading...

Ever wondered what combination of items in a roguelike shooter would be necessary to slay a violent Mona Lisa come to life, complete with angry eyebrows? Probably not, but Antipaint has the answers you haven't sought yet.

Releasing onto Steam today, Antipaint is a great bit of cheap and straightforward fun. You play a tiny block of an artist armed with a tool of creation, and are tasked with slaying a horde of blobs to create works of abstract splatter.

It plays like a touch like Binding of Isaac—but with some Vampire Survivors thrown in for good measure. Instead of crawling through dungeons, you're boxed into a small canvas and made to fight off waves of foes. There's also a very welcome dodge button that lets you get out of trouble with a quick press.

Upgrades are plentiful and wonderfully weird—like the 'Colour Wheel', a bouncy ball you need to pick up every time you huck it, or the paddle ball which bounces around you as you fire. Most are sold to you by a floating, Bob-Ross looking shopkeep, but you also get a pick of three freebies to flesh out your build every now and then.

There's a fun push-and-pull between avoiding enemies and getting upgrades that I really like. Gun down some blobs and they might drop money, but that cash vanishes after a short time. You have to balance running and gunning with making money, and I'd often find myself accidentally tanking hits because I grew too confident.

An image of Antipaint, with an artist gunslinger facing a horde of paint creatures.

(Image credit: Vilius Prakapas)

Anitpaint's visuals are a little basic, but charming in an 'early internet flash game' sort of way—what surprised me was the soundtrack. It's brassy, big-band jazz that has no right to go so hard for such a lightweight shooter, and it fits the tongue-in-cheek ambiance of a giant Mona Lisa throwing roses at you very well.

There's not much else to say about Antipaint—it's a very stripped-down experience, but it's also reasonably priced at the moment. You can get it for £6.09 ($7.19) until March 21, though it'll only be a smidge more expensive after that. If you're still umming and ahhing, there's also a free demo with a humble enough file size, so there's no reason not to check it out if roguelikes are your cup of tea.

Continue reading...

There's been a trend in recent years with even the best gaming keyboards in the mid-range market to be a jack of all trades. Enter the NZXT Function 2 which has lofty ambitions for its price point, but largely scores across the board for furthering what a deck can do without the sky high sticker rate that usually follows for this sort of feature set.

That's because the NZXT Function 2's features a dual-actuation in which you're able to choose between a light and responsive 1.0mm or a solid and full 1.5mm. This may not sound too extravagant, nor is it the first gaming keyboard to do so, but it can entirely change the sound and feel of the board, which comes in handy when switching between work and play, or loading into a specified game profile.

It's solid for sure, but then you have to factor in the 8,000 Hz polling rate, something rarely seen on a gaming keyboard, especially one selling under $150. While we've seen the best gaming mice from the likes of NZXT, Razer, and others with this feature, it's rarely appeared on a deck. That's many more times as responsive as we usually see from gaming keyboards, they tend to average 1,000 Hz. It's something I never thought I’d see on a keeb, but it makes more of a difference than you may think.

Included in the box is not only a keycap removal tool but also a keyswitch removal tool as you're able to exchange both the cap and its switch. You get a handful of both 35g Yellow Linear and 45g Red Linear optical switches included so you can go for a heavier, louder, feeling gaming keyboard or live on the quieter side if desired.

Function 2 specs

NZXT Function 2 gaming keyboard

Layout: Full-size (MiniTKL available)
Switch type: Optical
Switches: NZXT Swift
Backlighting: Yes
Anti-ghosting: Yes
N-key rollover: Yes
Discrete media keys: Yes
Connection: USB-C
Weight: 910g | 2lb
Price: $140 | £140

The standard optical switches installed in the board have a 40g actuation force, so you can experiment with lighter or heavier switches under specific keys. It's also commendable that not only the tools are thrown in, but also a spare set of caps, which many companies would sell for an additional fee.

Having two sets of switches in the box, weighted at 35g and 45g, means you can quite easily mix and match around the keys you’re going to be using more often. For example, this could be swapping out the WSAD keys for the lightweight 35g yellows as I did, while preferring the rest of the board on the heavier side. It means you can tailor your setup to your own preferences, and it all comes together well.

The experience is further bolstered by the NZXT CAM software which makes extra modification easy to do. Through CAM, you can change the RGB lighting (which is per key) as well as remap your buttons as desired. More crucially, however, you can switch between the two actuation settings and change the polling rate from 125 Hz all the way up to 8,000 Hz—it sits at 1,000 Hz as standard, so you can dial up as you go. Through the software you can also set macros, as well as disable Windows and FN keys, as well as saving profiles.

Image 1 of 4

(Image credit: NZXT)
Image 2 of 4

Image 3 of 4

Image 4 of 4

Speaking of the RGB lighting, it's good, but not great. There's a dedicated button which cycles through four brightness settings but its peak isn't as decadent as you might hope for; equally far from dim as it is from exciting. It probably won't matter all too much if you're playing in a darkened room, but you won't be dazzled in quite the way a Razer Chroma or Corsair iCue can when properly configured.

Where the NZXT Function 2 loses some favour with me is where it goes more unconventional. For example, the volume rocker and dedicated media bar is on the left hand side of the deck, and it's something I've struggled to get used to in my weeks of everyday use. I kept reaching towards the top right where I'd be greeted with nothing more than sheet aluminum. On the subject of cons, this keyboard has easily the worst wrist rest I've ever used.

Not only is the wrist rest rubbery and slippery but it also happens to be rock hard. I found myself at more comfort with my hands on top of my wooden desk, and that's something I've not experienced in my years of reviewing gaming keyboards. I can appreciate it's magnetic and stays in place, I just wish there was a bit of padding or texture that made it actually nice to use, but your mileage may vary.

Image 1 of 3

Image 2 of 3

(Image credit: NZXT)
Image 3 of 3

Buy if...

✅ You want a competitively priced optical mechanical keyboard: the NZXT Function 2 is cheaper than many other optical keyboards from brands such as Razer and Corsair while offering similar functionality.

✅ You want a hot-swappable gaming keyboard: the NZXT Function 2 has keys and switches that can be changed with different options included in the box.

Don't buy if...

❌ Comfort is a priority: while it’s commendable that the wrist rest is magnetic, it’s just not very comfortable in everyday use with its rock hard rubber design.

❌ Strong RGB is a must: although there’s four levels of lighting and various patterns to choose from, the bulbs aren’t too bright even at their max setting.

Gaming on the NZXT Function 2 is a stellar experience and once you've spent a bit of time setting up, it really feels like a cut above other mechanical decks I've used. Straight away I noticed that things were instantly more responsive in games such as Far Cry Primal and The Finals, but I noticed that I was also typing faster when working (even as I write this) when compared to my daily driver Razer Huntsman V3 Pro of which the Function 2 shares very similar DNA for a lot less cash.

Then we get onto the sound dampening which is now double-layered when compared to the original Function. I haven't used its predecessor, but I can tell you that this board is considerably quieter than my other optical keyboards such as the aforementioned Huntsman V3 Pro and my previous Corsair K70 RGB OPX which is also more expensive than NZXT's current offering while boasting a similar feature set.

Overall, the NZXT Function 2 gets a lot right with its 8,000 Hz polling rate, dual actuation, hot-swappable switches, and solid construction especially for its sub-$150 price point. If you're in the market for a custom keyboard but don't want to splash out too badly or get into tap modding then this one is an excellent choice for gamers that are okay with its few minor drawbacks.

Continue reading...

When Qualcomm announced the Snapdragon X Elite, an Arm-based processor for Windows PCs, many thought that this could be the turning point for x86 chips, as the specs looked mighty powerful. That point might be somewhat far off in the future, though, as one of the first X Elite-equipped laptops from Samsung is priced well into Apple territory, for a medium-specced machine.

That's according to ComputerBase who report that dealer entries for the forthcoming Samsung Galaxy Book4 Edge point to a price tag of 1,800 euros ($1966/£1,534/AU$2,976) for a 14-inch, 16GB RAM, 512GB spec. If one hops over to the Apple Store and kits out the new M3-powered 13-inch Macbook Air with 16GB of RAM, you'll be faced with a charge of €1,759 or $1,499/£1,499/AU$2,399.

The comparison to the Macbook Air is appropriate because Apple's latest M3 processor is reasonably similar to the Snapdragon X Elite. Both utilised Arm licenses for the core architectures and early benchmarks for the Qualcomm chip showed that it performed quite a lot better than Apple's M2 chip.

I don't think anyone was expecting the X Elite to be as cheap as a low-end x86 processor from AMD or Intel, as it's a brand-new and major development for Qualcomm. It's also directly targeted at the Windows laptop sector and to stand out in the enormous crowd of models and variants on offer, it needs to not only perform as well as the competition, it also needs to appear better too.

As Apple has shown over the years, if you can market your product as being a high-end, luxury item and apply a price tag befitting that status, then the consumer will purchase it in droves, regardless of how good the competition is.

So what are Samsung and Qualcomm up against in the x86 laptop market? For gaming, you can get a really good laptop deal for $1,499 and walk away with a 17-inch machine sporting a Ryzen 9 7940HS, RTX 4070, 16GB of RAM, and 1TB of storage. Of course, it's not going to be as portable as a Macbook Air or presumably the Galaxy Book4 Edge, and I doubt the battery will last anywhere near as long.

Your next machine

Gaming PC group shot

Best gaming PC: The top pre-built machines.
Best gaming laptop: Great devices for mobile gaming.

But that's because they're designed for gaming, where you're almost certainly going to be using it plugged in. A more equivalent x86 lightweight laptop would be the Microsoft Surface 5. For the same price, you get a 13.5-inch screen, 12th Gen Intel Core i5, 16GB of RAM, 512GB of storage, and a pretty lousy gaming experience.

Some preliminary gaming benchmarks for the Snapdragon X Elite put it roughly into the same performance category as a handheld gaming PC. That's mightily encouraging but they don't usually cost $1,499 though.

So while it's good news that AMD and Intel are going to face a new competitor in the Windows laptop chip market, we're going to have a wait a while before we see vendors offering $1,000 models sporting an X Elite processor.

Continue reading...

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) isn't quite the genre-leading giant it was back in 2017, where it led the charge in a genre so successful it spawned a whole busses full of imitators, including Fortnite's Battle Royale later in the same year. Still, it's been getting steady updates, and its move to a free-to-play model in 2022 has kept it trucking along nicely bar some major problems with cheaters.

Krafton's latest 2024 roadmap video includes a host of announced changes, including the very exciting possibility that you'll be able to dig a hole. Maybe. As part of a plan to introduce "vibrant gameplay experiences", which I assume are preferable to dull gameplay experiences, Krafton says that destructible environments are coming to PUBG.

"This year, we aim to introduce a 'destructible area'. The idea began with the thought that an interactive world could open up a wider range of strategies and tactics," a Krafton dev says, using the example of breaking open a door and chucking a grenade through it. A video plays of a chicken-dinner hopeful digging a small hole with a pickaxe. However, "discussions are still ongoing in various aspects," and while Krafton says the update will be coming in April, it'll only be "to some extent."

Other exciting notes include gunplay adjustments (with public testing) every two months, "action-oriented" features including a potential zipline, new game modes, better bots, improved matchmaking, and—most excitingly—user-generated content (UGC), alongside an upgrade to Unreal Engine 5.

"We are preparing an UGC mod to grant a high level of freedom to users … our goal is to ensure PUBG remains loved for so long by providing an environment where you can create your own world according to your rules."

Krafton also dedicated a substantial portion of its update to addressing how it'll be handling cheaters, following its deployment of AI models to help cut rulebreakers off at the source last year—it claims that the "situation has been stabilised now", though it admits that its new anti-killjoy tech still has "significant room for further enhancement, as the number of cheaters is still substantial." While Krafton's focus has been on the game's ranked mode, it intends to extend the (soon-to-be-longer) arm of the law to other modes as well.

Continue reading...

A week after suddenly springing back to life—and more than eight months after the open beta was taken offline—Player First Games has announced that Smashlike fighting game Multiversus will go into full release on May 28.

Multiversus made quite a splash when it launched into open beta in July 2022, attracting millions of players and running through two full seasons before it was unexpectedly ended a year later. I thought there was a good chance it was gone for good—Warner's been rolling that way lately—but the resumption of activity on Multiversus' social media accounts last week pretty clearly indicated otherwise.

Much has changed during its time away. Multiversus has moved to Unreal Engine 5 and has been "rebuilt from the ground up to support our new netcode," which director Tony Huynhy said will provide more consistent and accurate gameplay regardless of platform. Each character in the game will have "new attacks and combat mechanics," and a new PvE mode with "unique rewards" has been added.

Huynh also teased the addition of "some really exciting brand new personalities" to the Multiversus lineup, although nothing specific on who's coming has been revealed just yet.

It'll be very interesting to see how Multiversus fares after such a long time away. It racked up nearly 94,000 positive user reviews on Steam—not bad for a beta—and the tweet announcing its return currently carries 14,000 likes and 5,000 retweets, which admittedly isn't the most precise metric ever but does point toward genuine excitement for the comeback.

That has to be welcome news for publisher Warner Bros, which following the flop of Suicide Squad has said it wants to go harder on free-to-play and live service games: Multiversus fits squarely within those brackets, and I have to think that it figures prominently in the publisher's plans for the next few years, especially given the game's positive reception in beta.

More details on what will be available in the launch version of Multiversus will be revealed "in the coming weeks." For now, you can head over to multiversus.com to check out the FAQ (although it doesn't appear to have been updated yet—there's no mention of the PvE mode, for instance) and the full roster of announced characters.

Continue reading...

Out of all the RTS settings we've seen over the years, space remains, for me, absolutely the most thrilling. Ever since Homeworld got its hooks in me over 20 years ago, I've never lost the craving for big spaceship battles in the uncaring void of space. Falling Frontier, then, is very much my kinda thing, but it's approaching things quite differently when compared to the Relic classic, as is clear from the latest (extremely meaty) trailer.

It's a harder brand of sci-fi, grounded by ship designs evocative of real-world naval designs, where everything looks utilitarian and crafted for a specific purpose. It still looks gorgeous, mind you. This goes beyond the aesthetics—you'll also be managing logistical conundrums and supply chain issues, and worrying about how to properly position your ships to maximise their damage potential.

Falling Frontier was pushed back to 2025 a wee while ago, but developer Stutter Fox Studios still wants to show off how the game's been developing, teasing what we can expect when we finally get our hands on it.

"When I set out to create Falling Frontier I had this idea of what the world looked like," Stutter Fox founder Todd D'Arcy told me. "It had modern wet naval warship aesthetics but was presented in a grounded sci-fi way. I also had a direction for how I envisioned the player would interact with the world. I always wanted it to have an augmented environment feel that helped communicate that the player was indeed the commander of a task force in a huge battlescape.

"I feel as though Falling Frontier is now meeting all of my hopes and dreams and is indeed stepping into a space beyond what I could have ever imagined."

Falling Frontier spaceship

(Image credit: Stutter Fox Studios)

The trailer gives us a look at a quartet of sleek new frigates, each with distinct roles. The Berwick, for instance, can act as a spotter, helping out other ships when they're blasting vessels with long range missiles. As a bonus, it can also lay mines and conduct search and rescue missions. The Faslane, meanwhile, is a sneaky frigate thanks to its small sensor signature. It's got added utility, too, thanks to an optional cruise missile attachment and drone bay. If you're looking to find sneaky ships rather than deploy them, that's where the York comes in—it's a scout, but with upgrades that include additional sensors, making it even better at spotting enemies. Finally there's the Coventry, which you'll use to escort other ships, taking advantage of its heavy armour (for its class) and firepower.

Thanks to the ship designer, these vessels can be used in a bunch of different ways, despite their distinct roles, by changing their internal and external modules (which can also change their silhouette); installing a variety of turrets, with each ship boasting unique turret base designs; and playing around with their modular weapon designs.

I'm a huge fan of this style of ship combat, too; unlike the frenetic dance of Homeworld's ships, it's incredibly slow and tense, but certainly not lacking in grace. Basically, if you liked seeing ships duke it out in The Expanse, you're gonna dig it. Planets can also be attacked, and near the end of the trailer we see both an orbital bombardment and ship debris plummeting towards the planet, where it explodes.

Falling Frontier spaceship

(Image credit: Stutter Fox Studios)

One of the things I really loved about Homeworld was the radio chatter, and that's present in Falling Frontier, too. The chatter is dynamic, and grounded in the use of the NATO alphabet when referring to ship designations. It's all very serious and my kind of nonsense.

There's more to the war than exploding ships, so we also get to take a peek at the aforementioned logistical side of things. You can see a Sukula mining barge slowly unloading its cargo assisted by smaller vessels, all of which grab onto the containers and then jet off down to the planet. It's only once they arrive that they can be used, so presumably that will make the barge something of a target for enemy attacks. Later in the trailer we get to see the big picture, where connections between worlds are made to create supply chains. I confess I have a bit of a supply chain fetish. I'm sorry.

It's a shame we won't be able to get our hands on this until next year, but thanks to the trailer I've got a much clearer picture of what Stutter Fox is aiming for, and I'm pretty stoked.

Continue reading...

Helldivers 2's systems aren't perfect—and while I've not had this problem often myself, enough players have complained about receiving unjust boots from their games that there might be room for improvement.

In case you're unaware, the game's current system for dealing with problem players is to give the host unilateral control over who stays and who gets sent to their nearest democratic officer for re-education. Which has its ups and downs.

When it comes to positives, this system lets folks quickly and efficiently deal with troublemakers—the slow process of a vote kick can take a while, during which a team-killing menace could set your whole crew on the backfoot, or lock in an extraction before your squad's ready to depart.

On the negative side, this system lets draconic dictators punt folks who don't deserve it, moments before extraction. It also lets the host play judge, jury, and executioner, kicking their fellow helldivers based on arbitrary nonsense like meta stratagems and weapons. CEO Johan Pilestedt says as much, retweeting a pettily-kicked victim late last week (thanks, GamesRadar).

A quote tweet that reads:

(Image credit: @Pilestedt on Twitter/X.)

"This is so shitty," writes Pilestedt. "Also very hard to solve—we have some ideas but no conclusion." In a move that would make me question his allegiance with the bugs, were I not assured of his patriotism by this point, Pilestedt then calls upon the "hive mind … do you have a design suggestion for how to improve this experience?"

Here's a few suggestions by players which got the nod of approval from the man himself:

All in all, a lot of very tasty spaghetti is being thrown at the wall, here.

Still, Pilestedt does acknowledge that the current system has its perks. When speaking to a player voicing their concern over teams of trolling players, who would be naturally immune to a vote kick system with a two-person majority, Pilested notes: "that's why we have the system we have. The host is the owner of the game. It's their operation and they decide. Kinda like coming over to someone's house."

I personally don't see much of a problem with the system as-is, but I think plenty of these suggestions could be layered on top of it. In particular, highlighting a player who recently kicked you and partial rewards could be added to the current system, augmenting the "my house, my rules" approach.

Matchmaking filters, meanwhile, are a great idea on paper, but they tend to split the player pool in ways that can ramp up queue times—not something Helldivers 2 needs to worry about right now, of course, but it's good to keep an eye on the future.

Pilestedt ended the impromptu town hall by thanking everyone who chipped in: "This is a pretty cool thing, the entire community coming together to discuss a hard to solve problem. Even though vote kick is the easiest, it has some downsides and there is always a better solution."

Continue reading...

Final Fantasy 16 producer Naoki Yoshida—better known to fans as Yoshi-P—says the PC version of the game is now in the "final stages" of the optimization process, but warned that while exact system requirements haven't yet been nailed down, they'll like be a little on the high side.

"In terms of where we are in development currently, we're trying to figure out the final stages of optimization right now," Yoshida said in an interview with Game Informer. "When we can release the PC version might be dependent on that—the system requirements and specifications for PC that players will need, so we're trying to figure that out. Naturally, [the PC specifications] are looking to be somewhat high."

"Somewhat high" is vague, but it tracks with a December 2023 comment about the PC version of the game in which Yoshida said an SSD will likely be mandatory. "In FF16, a game where loading speed is critical, an HDD would be difficult to use," he said at the time. "Of course, we will do our best to optimize as much as possible, but we cannot overcome the hardware barrier alone, so please consider that an SSD is a must."

Demanding an SSD isn't really a hallmark of a high system requirement these days. Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, for instance, mandated an SSD even though the rest of its system requirements were relatively light. Nor are SSDs particularly expensive these days: Honestly, if you still don't have one my immediate advice would be to get one, because they really are so much better than the old HDD clunkers. If you're not sure where to start, we have guides that can help.

Back to the point: It's fair to assume that proper system requirements will be announced ahead of Final Fantasy 16's launch, and even better, Square Enix plans to release a demo, so you can just fire that up to see how it runs on your rig. As to when you'll be able to do that, though, the development team needs more time before it's ready to commit.

"Again, we can't really talk about too much in terms of details of when it's going to come out," Yoshida said. "I think in a little bit more time we'll be in a better place to announce things. But one thing's for sure: It won't be too distant in the future; it won't be a year, it won't be two years, it will probably be shorter than that, so stay tuned."

One other thing to bear in mind: The PC version of Final Fantasy 15 came out in March 2018, more than a year after the November 2016 console release. Final Fantasy 16 hit PlayStation 5 consoles in June 2023, so you may not want to start holding your breath for the big news just yet.

Continue reading...

On 29 February the Astralis Counter-Strike womens' team released an open letter to developer Valve, asking for the game to include female skins as a default option in the game. The letter was signed by all five roster members and spearheaded by team rifler Josefine Jensen, and made the basic point that "there should be as many free female agents as free male agents." The default skins for all players in CS2 are male and, while the game does include female agents, those are all paid-for skins.

The reaction to this was "mixed" in Jensen's words "but I'm happy that we took the initiative." Last week Astralis, the esports giant they play for and winner of four Counter-Strike Majors over its history, decided it might be a good idea to get on-board too.

"Equality both off and ON the server" is the headline of a new blogpost by the organisation that begins: "Last week, the players on our women's team spoke up in an open letter to Valve… With the full support from the organization, both leading up to and after their posts, the players asked for a solution, where they too, as women, would be allowed to play as their own gender in the game they love."

Astralis says the letter has now been seen by millions and it has seen "overwhelming support" for the players "but we have also seen a lot of disrespect and even hateful messages. As an organization and as an employer, but also as human beings, we fail to understand and will never accept this kind of reaction to something that means a lot to some and that does not hurt others in any way or form."

It's come up with a bit of a scheme to promote the idea also, roping in the organisation's sponsor Netcompany which published its own letter of support and stumped up the cash to buy a load of female agent skins in CS2. People could sign up to support the demand for default female skins in Counter-Strike, and in return receive a 'free' female agent skin from Netcompany. Unfortunately Netcompany swiftly ran out of female agent skins, but the thought was there (even if I'm not sure buying loads of marketplace items is a good way to incentivise Valve to do anything).

Default female agent skins in arguably the world's biggest and best competitive FPS does not seem like a huge ask, nor something beyond Valve's enormous capabilities. I contacted Valve for comment when the first letter was published, and will circle-back and update with any response.

Continue reading...

The patch notes for the big Stardew Valley 1.6 update remain secret, but we do now know one change that's coming thanks to a patch note. Creator Eric Barone shared a wee little insight into the update on Twitter today, and it's got players awfully excited about their fruit trees.

"Started working on the patch notes for 1.6, thought I would share one random line about changes to fruit trees," Barone tweeted. That change is as follows:

Cutting down a fruit tree now yields the appropriate fruit sapling. If the tree is mature (ie the fruit quality is > basic), it will yield a sapling with the same quality as its fruit. The higher the quality, the faster the sapling will mature when replanted.

It seems like a fairly granular change to me, but the response to the tweet suggests otherwise. There's a lot of excitement, and more than a few questions, which Barone gamely addressed in replies.

For one thing, the change isn't meant to provide any boost over and above what players have now—it's really about preservation. "It's only intended to help people move their trees, not provide any economic benefit," Barone said in response to one inquiry. "The best money maker would be to plant your tree and never touch it again. This just makes it less of a tragedy if there comes a time that you have to move a tree."

"The 'maturity' thing is there so that it's less distressing to move an old, established tree, because it will grow back faster," he said in another reply. New trees that have to be moved will also drop saplings, but without the benefit of the "maturity" bonus.

He also noted that the bonus will not impact the quality of the fruit these trees produce: A sapling from a mature tree will grow faster but still has to go through the same stages in order to start producing the same quality of fruit as its progenitor.

Even with that clarity, the change strikes me as relatively minor, but people who actually play Stardew Valley seem to feel very differently.

WE CAN MOVE FRUIT TREES YIPPEE

(Image credit: ghoulishrimp (Twitter))

As someone who often moves their trees this is amazing

(Image credit: taaddisbinz (Twitter))

Never thought I'd be so hype about cutting down trees

(Image credit: TCartman (Twitter))

Wow that’s a game changer update!

(Image credit: idyllnic (Twitter))

I LOVE U FOR THIS  i fuck up my fruit tree placement too often

(Image credit: hemiphaea (Twitter))

"Whomst among us," etc.

I also learned today that there is apparently a "fruit tree meta," which to be honest is not something I'd considered previously.

This is going to change the fruit tree meta drastically.

(Image credit: TGMightyPoo2020 (Twitter))

Speaking of meta, for some players this will be a quality-of-life improvement that extends beyond the bounaries of Stardew Valley:

maaaaan this could've saved me when I accidentally cut down the tree I literally just bought. my mom still hasn't stopped making fun of me

(Image credit: abysmallyizzy (Twitter))

I don't know much about Stardew Valley but I do know a thing or two about moving trees: I once relocated a fully-grown, poorly-placed apple tree with nothing but a shovel and my bare hands. The tree survived, although it took a few years before it started producing fruit again (which was fine, since it's strictly food for bugs and whatever apple-enjoying animals happen to wander by) and the experience left me with a valuable piece of wisdom: Don't move a tree by yourself unless you really, really gotta move a tree by yourself.

From that perspective, I have to agree with LittlePinkSouda here:

I don't super understand I think but it is really good to do more with them

(Image credit: LittlePinkSouda (Twitter))

The Stardew Valley 1.6 update is set to go live on March 19. As for exactly when, it all depends on how the day unfolds. "As soon as I wake up, drink a coffee, and there's no last minute problem, I will push the button," Barone tweeted. "So if all goes well, some time in the morning. I'll let everyone know when the time comes." And we will let you know in turn.

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Trending Content

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert