East West Rail’s Accessibility Panel Highlights Priority Concerns for Disabled Passengers

TTW

Registered
East West Rail

The East West Railway Company’s Accessibility Advisory Panel (AAP) has compiled a list of crucial issues that train companies need to tackle to meet the diverse needs of disabled individuals effectively.

Recent statistics indicate that nearly one in four people in the UK is disabled*. The AAP has emphasized the importance of incorporating the needs of disabled people early in the planning and building phases to ensure that East West Rail (EWR) is accessible and enjoyable for all.

The panel, which convened for the first time one year ago this month (17 April 2023), has identified essential requirements focused on trains, stations, and digital services. These include:

• Accessible toilets on trains and at stations, including Changing Places toilets
  • Step-free access throughout stations, including the use of lifts, for those with mobility aids
  • Unassisted, level boarding with minimal intervention
  • Ensuring timetables, information boards, and social media content are accessible to everyone
  • Eliminating ticket barriers for disabled individuals to facilitate easier platform access
  • Allowing the display of a Blue Badge to suffice for parking without the need for an app
  • Providing space on trains for two wheelchair users to travel together
  • Enhancing lighting to accommodate people with low vision
  • Improving access to regularly trained station staff in disability awareness
  • Offering a variety of seating options with armrests

Established ahead of the commencement of train services on the first stage of EWR from Oxford to Bletchley in 2025, the AAP has provided insights into the barriers local communities face in rail travel and suggested solutions to these challenges.

The Panel is considered pioneering in addressing these issues from the design stage in the development of a new railway, and members are confident it will enable EWR Co to deliver a truly accessible rail service.

Joe O’Dwyer, from Cambourne, said: “When I first became disabled the first journey I had on an old British Rail train was in the guard’s van because the train wasn’t accessible to wheelchair users. The guard’s van was an old wooden dusty old unit that was essentially there to carry parcels. Back then it wasn’t even thought about making transport rolling stock accessible for disabled people, but I am sure East West Rail will use our advice sagely and provide the best equipped infrastructure railway service they can.”

Gary Dormer, from Halton, Buckinghamshire, said: “I’m severely sight impaired and when I’m going into stations or any buildings, I’m constantly looking at the ground or the access port. So, if there are glass doors, for example, I can literally walk straight through them which hurts. I was extremely pleased to be asked to be on the panel. I think that EWR is giving it the priority that it deserves to encourage people onto the networks where some other providers could learn lessons.”

Stephen Liney, from Wellingborough, said: “If East West Rail can begin to ask the questions to people with lived experience, then that leads the way for other organisations to follow and it’s a step forward for society to become more inclusive for disabled people and their requirements.”

Mary Doyle, Accessibility Advisory Panel Co-Chair and independent inclusive transport consultant, said: “By working with people directly you are hearing it from the horse’s mouth about how to make these things better and it sends a massively important message that we are passengers and we want to use the rail service like any person on the planet. The difference that we’ve experienced with East West Rail is that we are in at the grass roots level at the design and building phase of the entire project, so we’ve got the first opportunity in 200 years to really influence the positive outcomes and do it right.”

Georgina Taylor, Head of Customer Service Delivery, EWR Co, said: “We are determined to make sure that all customers have a fantastic experience by building a railway that meets different physical and mobility needs, as well as mental wellbeing and neurodiversity. The AAP’s priority issues list will help us better understand barriers to travel and how to overcome them, enabling us to be a beacon for inclusive rail design.”

The post East West Rail’s Accessibility Panel Highlights Priority Concerns for Disabled Passengers appeared first on Travel And Tour World.

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert