Why I Always Travel with a Second Phone

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/flyingchocolatecake
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/flyingchocolatecake

I've been lucky so far. I've never had my smartphone stolen. But I wanted to know: What if? So, I simulated the whole thing, switched off my smartphone, and tried to access all my important documents. It turns out that it's not so easy - especially if you use 2FA almost everywhere.

That's when I realized the importance of having a backup plan, especially when traveling far away from home. Being prepared to expect the unexpected can make all the difference between a smooth trip and a stressful nightmare.

Enter the one thing I'll never travel without: A second phone. It's my previous smartphone with a pre-paid SIM card that I always keep separate from my main phone. It either stays in my hostel/hotel room or it's being kept in a separate bag when on the road. Having a secondary phone gives me peace of mind, knowing that if my primary phone is lost, stolen, or damaged, I have a backup ready to go. This backup phone serves multiple purposes:

1. It has a secondary phone number I can use to make calls in case of emergencies.
  2. It contains important documents, such as my passport, travel itinerary, and insurance information.
  3. It contains essential apps, such as my password manager, my email account and relevant apps for the journey (e.g. airline apps).
  4. I can easily deactivate my main phone remotely using this secondary device.
  5. Perhaps most importantly, I can activate my main line on the secondary phone using an eSIM, which can be done through my provider's website. This means I can quickly regain access to my primary phone number without needing a physical SIM card.

So my advice to other travelers who might have an old phone at home or about to replace their current phone: Maybe reconsider selling it. Set it up with a pre-paid SIM and crucial information. It's a simple travel hack that can save you from a lot of stress and inconvenience should the worst happen.

When I replace my current smartphone at some point, I will also keep this one and set it up as a third emergency phone - which will always stay at home. Like a third line of defense to at least get easy access to my stuff once I return.

submitted by /u/flyingchocolatecake
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert