Tips for rehoming abandoned dog?

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/MiniMooseMan
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/MiniMooseMan

I found a dog tied up outside after the family moved. It was -10 outside, so we ended up taking the dog so she wouldn't die. We soon found out she was pregnant, so we let the Animal Humane Society know, as we hadn't wanted to keep her in the first place, much less a litter of puppies

They TOLD us to keep her and help her have the puppies, then get in contact with them to surrender her. Great, now it's months later, most of the puppies are adopted, so she needs to go.

NOW they are telling us they can't take her because "she's technically a stolen dog," and a variety of other bs reasons directly contradicting what they told us. They will not take her now.

We're stuck with this dog we shouldn't even have in the 1st place, that we just wanted to save from freezing to death while being abandoned. They're "very sympathetic" and "happy we saved her" but basically we should've left her to die. She needs medical attention we can't afford, and again, we aren't supposed to have her in the 1st place. Just fuck us for not watching her die outside. Even if we'd called somebody, she'd likely be dead or in critical condition before they got there.

What the heck am I supposed to do? I can't even do the right thing and surrender her to a no kill shelter, and I highly doubt people will want to take a dog with visible medical problems. She has either a massive cyst or rapidly growing cancer. Now it's my responsibility to pay money I very much cannot afford for vet trips and continuing care of a dog they promised me they would take? After spending an ass load of money to take care of 8 puppies? Very frustrated right now...

submitted by /u/MiniMooseMan
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...