The Outdoor Gear That Helped Me Crush Disney World

• Thread starter Thread starter jbeverly
  • Start date Start date
J

jbeverly

The Outdoor Gear That Helped Me Crush Disney World

As an outdoorswoman and veteran of multi-day, multi-sport adventure races, long mountain runs, and hundreds of competitive events of all sorts, let me tell you: There is no difference between a successful adventure and mastering a Disney park. They both require research, planning, strategizing, rising before dawn, navigating smart routes, moving fast and light, competitiveness, problem-solving, outwitting competitors, on-the-go fueling, sheer endurance, knowing when to rest and when to push, and critical gear choices. Lacking any of these skills at a busy amusement park can result in hours of standing in lines, money wasted, meltdowns by teammates (family members) and yourself, and, worse, lost quality time with your kids—of any age. What’s more, putting your outdoor skills to use to “beat out” thousands of “regular” park visitors is wildly rewarding (did I mention competitiveness?).

As I planned a recent visit to Disney World with my two sons during spring break, you better believe I used my knowledge of gear and adventuring to thoroughly research what outdoor apparel and equipment would give me an advantage as a super-competitive mom in the Disney parks. Here, I’m sharing my secrets. Just don’t use them to get to the Rise of the Resistance ride before me.

collection of gear for mastering Disney

Going to Disney World? Choose your gear wisely. (Photo: Lisa Jhung)

• Lightweight, packable, waterproof backpack with easy-access pocketing

This item is key for survival as it carries sustenance, liquids, protective clothing, and most critically, phone chargers (Disney veterans, you know what I mean). To stay fast and light, I didn’t want the empty pack to weigh much but needed it to comfortably carry a large water bottle, snacks, and three lightweight layers for the three of us. I wanted adjustable straps so any one of us could carry it in backpack mode. I wanted it to be waterproof, in case of rain or, you know, a log flume ride. And I wanted it to have zippered compartments for secure storage and easily accessible pockets for snacks and our shared water bottle.

I landed on the Fjallraven High Coast Totepack, and it proved a perfect choice. It weighs just 14 ounces empty and, with a volume of 23 liters, comfortably carried all we needed for the day. The bag, made of a combination of 400 Denier and 210 Denier 100 percent recycled polyamide, transitions easily from backpack to tote without having to adjust any straps, which came in handy when plopping it on the ground while standing in line and getting on and off rides. I also used the bag as my airplane carry-on and appreciated the laptop sleeve.

• Lightweight, large, insulated water bottle

Hydration is as important when tackling an amusement park as it is during an ultramarathon. While insulated water bottles do a great job keeping contents cold or hot, their double-wall construction makes them heavy. Because my goal was to move light and fast on this trip—by all means more mobile than anyone else in the park—I went with a bottle from the Hydro Flask Trail Series, which are 20 percent lighter than standard Hydro Flask bottles. And since my two sons and I planned on sharing one water bottle, we chose the 40-ounce Lightweight Wide Mouth Trail Series Bottle. The only downside to this bottle that I can see so far is that it’s less durable than a standard insulated bottle: ours shows one small dent.

• Comfortable, quick-drying, versatile shorts/skort

Poor apparel choices can ruin any adventure, and smart apparel choices can not only maximize comfort, but give you the extra edge needed to outlast the competition…I mean, the crowds. For this trip and months of warm weather to follow, I sought out shorts with flat, comfortable waistbands, lightweight, quick-dry materials that are also durable for sitting on roller coaster seats, and deep pockets that would secure my phone even when I was launched upside-down or backwards, or both.

I’ve long known Prana to make great activewear that doesn’t scream “OUTDOOR GEAR!” with its styling or labeling. I was thrilled with the performance of the Prana Kanab Short (which have since been my go-to for gardening and yardwork, with their durable organic cotton/nylon/elastane blend material), the lighter weight Prana Koen 5” Short with its sneaky hidden zipper pocket, and the Prana Koen Skort. The latter surprised me. I’m not usually a skort person but the length of the lightweight exterior material proved perfectly comfortable, the side pockets are deep and secure, and the interior short offered modesty and comfort. In Florida heat and humidity, I happily avoided denim of any sort. My 15-year-old son, however, wore jorts but I’m certain I was more comfortable and did out speedwalk him on numerous occasions.

• Comfortable, wicking, quick-drying shirt/tank

I love the Patagonia Capilene Cool Daily Shirt for trail running, hiking, climbing, and now, charging around Disney World like a maniac. It’s lightweight, sweat-wicking, quick-drying, and looks like a regular casual t-shirt. I love the Prana Cozy Up Tank for the same reasons, and the tank’s 55% Hemp, 35% recycled polyester, 10% TENCELL Lyocell blend makes it soft to the touch, like cotton. The Lululemon Love Curved-Hem Crewneck T-shirt and its slightly longer-than-normal sleeves provided added sun protection, plus its soft, breathable cotton with a touch of Lycra for stretch, proved a great choice as well. (We did four parks in four days, hence four bottoms and four tops.)

• Super-lightweight rainshell

It rains in Florida. A lot. And getting soaked is a great way to ensure you’ll be miserable for a precious couple of hours afterward. Since a good adventurer is always prepared, we packed minimal but effective rain shells. The Concurve Gore-Tex Jacket I carried in the High Coast Totepack didn’t weigh me down as my boys and I raced to be first in line at Avatar’s Flight of Passage (and boy, was that exhilarating). It also kept my younger son warm and dry on a cool night with light rainfall. When, in my third-day haze, I failed to look at the weather forecast and we were caught jacket-less in a downpour, I punted and bought the best $12 piece of gear in the world: a plastic poncho. I once duct-taped a bunch of opened-up Hefty trash bags to one another for a makeshift poncho during a very rainy adventure race, and therefore know the value of knee-length coverage, even if unstylish.

• Cushioned, breathable, casual-looking (cute!) running shoes

Perhaps the single most important piece of well-selected gear for any outdoor adventure, including a day in a Disney Park, is footwear. We covered between six and 11 miles per day, stood for hours at a time, and occasionally ran. I chose the well-cushioned, highly breathable, stable (thanks in part to a carbon-fiber plate embedded in the midsole), lightweight, good-looking Deckers X-lab XS Speed prototype, which I tested while reporting on this feature for Outside. They provided ample cushioning while remaining lightweight, allowed my feet to breathe sufficiently, and transitioned smoothly from a walk to a run at rope drop (when the park opens and the race to the busiest ride begins—it might as well be a starting gun). As expected, my feet craved walking barefoot and in flip-flops to regain muscle activation once the trip was over—carbon-plated shoes take that flexion away. On that note, every shoe works differently for every walker/runner, so make sure whatever shoe you choose has been well-tested before committing to four full days on your feet in one pair.

• Lightweight, breathable, wicking socks​

Getting a blister when you’re trying to win a race—I mean, maximize your time in a Disney Park—can derail you. And cotton kills, especially in Florida. To pair with the almost transparent upper of my shoes and to keep my feet happy in humid heat, I wore the Swiftwick Aspire One socks and the Nike Spark Lightweight Socks. Both allowed my feet to breathe, stayed lightweight instead of getting heavy with sweat, and didn’t bunch up one bit.

• Compression socks

Every night, after a shower and setting the alarm for an early wake-up the next morning to do it all over again, I’d reach for my secret weapon, perhaps the sneakiest, smartest piece of gear that my competitors (hoards of other park visitors) would never even see: CEP Tall Compression Socks. I’d pull them on and enjoy the slight squeeze, the improved circulation, the much-needed recovery of my lower legs while I slept. It’s hard to measure just how much compression socks helped me, but whether it was 50 percent actual and 50 percent in my head, I 100 percent appreciated feeling like I was revived from the previous day’s Disney Park ultra and ready to charge all over again.

Do you need outdoor adventure gear to get around Disneyland or Disney World? Of course not. Will using gear designed for adventure and endurance sports make your day in a Disney Park more comfortable? Yes. And when you’re more comfortable, moving lighter, faster, and smarter, then you’re that much more capable of soaking up all the magic. Make fun of me all you want, but I freaking love the magic. I love it even more when my gear choices pay off.

The post The Outdoor Gear That Helped Me Crush Disney World appeared first on Outside Online.

Continue reading...