Phil Spencer On How Gen Z Is Changing Xbox's Exclusivity Strategy

Gamespot

Registered
Microsoft recently announced plans to bring some of its games to PlayStation and Switch, and this decision was seemingly based in part on research about Gen Z habits. He told Polygon that young people want everything everywhere, and Xbox is adapting to that.

"This notion that Xbox can only be this one device that plugs into a television isn't something we see in the Gen Z research. Because nothing else is like that for them," he said. "Some of them will have an iPhone, some will have an Android, but all the games and everything is the same. I can still get to TikTok on both of them, at least for now. All of their stuff is available wherever they want. So for Xbox, our brand pivot--as we attract and maintain relevance with a younger audience--is 'Xbox is a place where I can find the great games I want to.'"

The announcement that games like Pentiment, Grounded, Hi-Fi Rush, and Sea of Thieves would leap to PlayStation and Switch generated a good amount of discussion and debate. For his part, Spencer said this decision is "for the better of Xbox."

Continue Reading at GameSpot

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert