movies about alienation and isolation?

Crowded Caribou

Registered
not sure how exactly to specify what i’m looking for but two movies i really like and am constantly searching for pieces of in other media are Pearl (2022) and May (2002).

what i like about them is the theme of the main characters wanting more from life but feeling limited by things out of their control, i guess. there’s a certain loneliness to them that is really relatable to me. i find that movies with happy, more upbeat premises leave me feeling drained, as i am focused on how different my life is, and how sad i am compared to what i see. so i gravitate more towards stories like Pearl and May.

i really just am looking for SAD characters with SAD lives that will make me feel seen (the darker the better).

i also rewatched I’m Thinking Of Ending Things the other day, and was blown away once again by how relatable i find Jake to be. someone who has spent most of his life daydreaming, missing out on opportunities to make life worth living, to connect… no happy ending just a sad reality for many people.

and i just finished Lisa Frankenstein, which again has an outcast for the protagonist, tho the romance factor in movies tends to turn me off a bit i did really enjoy this because the “love story” was weird and bittersweet haha.

anyways. yeah. just looking for more movies. shows and books and even songs etc are welcome too. just looking for a sense of belonging i guess.

submitted by /u/justanon011
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...