Looking for Whimsical Arthouse Movies - like if "Criterion released Paddington 2" lol

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/FilmflickerCinema
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/FilmflickerCinema

I’m looking for a combo that I find near impossible to search for. My favourite type of films are arthouse films akin to Lynch, Jodorowsky, Malick, Tarkovsky, Svankmajer, Kieslowski… y’know the type, the criterion kinda foreign films that movie bros get wet over haha.
My 2nd favourite type though is complete whimsy, like 2003’s Peter Pan, 94’s Matilda, anything by Jeunet, Paddington, Moffat’s era of Doctor Who, I loved the aesthetic A House with a Clock in Its Walls and Big Fish and the Science of Sleep - y’know like expressionist camerawork and caricatured people and set pieces out of a toy box or a child’s dream.
Now what I’m really looking for is Whimsical Arthouse - its kind of an oxymoron, whimsy is generally comfortable while arthouse is oft meant to break comfort zones, however surrealism and whimsy come from the same place I think so idk. Maybe this is all based on a superficiality but its still one I wanna explore.
I’m looking for (hate the term but) “kino” arthouse movies that make you think and feel unique emotions but also give you the warm comforts and belief in magic that a whimsical movie can give. The movies I’ve already discovered are Jodorowsky’s Dance of Reality, The Double Life of Veronique, anything by Georges Melies and I’d honestly toss The Secret Garden 1994 in there but I’m open to anything that you guys consider this camp. I’ve heard Fanny and Alexander is great, never got around it though and the trailer for Riddle of Fire looks like it could be something like this but hard to say til it comes out.
Thank you!!

submitted by /u/FilmflickerCinema
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert