Dog breathing fast, semi-shallow breaths while at rest.

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/Difficult-Mess-6882
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/Difficult-Mess-6882

I have a 10 year old long haired, mini dachshund. He is overweight, about 6 lbs. This is my fault obviously and also due to adopting 2 littermates and potty training them. When they go out and get a "reward treat" he gets (got) one, too. He sneaks puppy food. And my small children are (were) always feeding him. Before you hate on me, I take responsibility for the weight gain, a little later than I should have, but we are now working on it. No more "extra" treats, switched to healthier training treats. Rarely a table scrap. And he has been transitioning to a different diet/food since last week. I took him to the vet about 2.5 weeks ago because I noticed he is panting more, has gained this weight, and is breathing faster at rest, has orange stool lately and accidents in the house. He got a clean bill of health. They even did a senior check, including his heart, extra blood tests for his heart and all other organ functions. All they said was he is overweight and his pancreas numbers were slightly elevated but without other symptoms of pancreatitis, they aren't worried if stool sample is normal. Blood came back with everything else perfect (lungs, kidneys, liver etc). I still have to bring them another stool and urine. They think accidents is marking due to puppies training. He has lost 1lb since his appointment with the changes we've made.

I counted tonight 79 breaths per second when he first laid down. He has been resting for about 10 minutes now and it's at 45. He doesn't seem to have difficulty or labored breathing. He was diagnosed with anxiety years ago, but not sure that's the issue. Can his weight cause the fast breathing or do I need to bring him back in? I don't understand if he was cleared by the vet. They didn't seem to be worried or attributed his breathing to anxiety during his appointment.

submitted by /u/Difficult-Mess-6882
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...