AO Review: Springfield 2020 Rimfire Target 22 | Coyote w/ Black Webbing

• Thread starter Thread starter Adam Scepaniak
  • Start date Start date
A

Adam Scepaniak

Ever since Springfield Armory has debuted their 2020 Rimfire Target last year in July, it has been the talk of the town within rimfire communities. We have given it lengthy coverage across our sister-site TheFirearmBlog (TFB) – Rimfire Report, Press Release, and TFBTV – as well as AllOutdoor (AO) – Press Release, Editorial Review, and New Colorways Announcement. Being as I am our in-house, Springfield Armory aficionado, it only makes sense that I get my turn behind one of these now coveted rifles as well. So, in today’s AllOutdoor Review, we are going to take a look at the Springfield Armory 2020 Rimfire Target in .22 Long Rifle with the new Coyote with Black Webbing stock. Let’s dive in!

Springfield Armory Coverage on AllOutdoor

Specifications – Springfield Armory 2020 Rimfire Target .22 Long Rifle | Coyote with Black Webbing​

For those who might be familiar with the 2020 Rimfire Target, this is a feature-rich rifle that is equally nimble as it is capable all at a price tag south of $500. It utilizes Ruger 10/22 rotary-style magazines for a common magazine pattern/footprint, and it comes with an accuracy guarantee out of the box (which is practically unheard of in regards to rimfire rifles). Some of the finer minutia surrounding this precise rifle we are reviewing here today can be read below as presented by Springfield Armory:

• Cartridge: .22 Long Rifle
  • Colorway: Coyote with Black Webbing
  • Barrel: 20″ Heavy Profile, Straight Taper Contour, 1 in 16″ Twist, Matte Blued, Threaded 1/2″ x 28 TPI (Thread per Inch)
  • Receiver: Model 2020 Rimfire, Round 1.14″ Diameter, Matte Blued
  • Optic Mounting: Interrupted Picatinny Mount, 8-40 Screws
  • Bolt: 4140 Steel, High Polish White Chrome Coating

• Stock: Target, Reinforced Polymer
  • Trigger: Adjustable Remington® 700 Style Trigger Group with Hanger System for Compatibility
  • Muzzle Device: Thread Protector
  • Magazines: (1) 10-Round SA Rotary
  • Weight: 7 Lb 7 Oz
  • Length: 38″
  • MSRP: $499

Some of the more prominent aspects of the 2020 Rimfire Target that prospective owners will want to take note of surround the barrel and what it is capable of. With a heavy-profile barrel, you not only have the potential for more accuracy from a manufacturing standpoint; moreover, Springfield Armory does have more accuracy oozing from this firearm. With a 1″ accuracy guarantee out to 50 yards utilizing match-grade ammunition, shooters are investing in much more than a “plinker.” You are receiving a bonified tack-driver.

• Heavy Profile Threaded Barrel – The Model 2020 Rimfire Target’s 20” heavy barrel features a straight-taper contour as well as a 1/2-28 threaded muzzle with included thread protector muzzle cap.
  • Accuracy Guarantee – Springfield Armory stands behind all Model 2020 Rimfire rifles with a rock-solid 1″ accuracy guarantee — for a three-shot group at 50 yards with quality match-grade factory ammunition, in the hands of a skilled shooter.
  • Extended Mag Release – Designed to ensure intuitive reloads, the Model 2020 Rimfire Target features an extended magazine release for ease of operation.
  • Rifle Case Included – The included Model 2020 Rimfire rifle case offers optimal protection and convenience. Designed with a durable and padded exterior, it safeguards your firearm during transport. Its interior features dedicated pockets for your magazine and bolt, ensuring organized storage and quick access.

As always, in the rare event that you should ever need service for your firearm, Springfield Armory has a Lifetime Warranty that stands behind all of their firearms. One final snapshot into what the new Springfield Armory 2020 Rimfire Target in .22 Long Rifle with the new Coyote with Black Webbing stock is all about can be read below in Springfield Armory’s Press Release statement:

Geneseo, Illinois – May 6th, 2024 – Springfield Armory® is proud to announce the release of two new color options — Coyote with black webbing and OD Green with black webbing — for the popular Model 2020 Rimfire Target family of .22 LR bolt-action rifles. They offer shooters a refined bolt-action rifle with all the quality and performance you’ve come to expect from Springfield Armory. The MSRP for each of the new variants is $499.

The Model 2020 Rimfire bolt-action rifle is offered in two primary versions — the synthetic-stocked Target Model and the wood-stocked Classic Model. The Target features a reinforced polymer stock modeled after the popular Model 2020 Waypoint, while the Classic is offered in four grades of Turkish walnut with a satin finish. These two new colors for the Target variant complement the original Black and Sage with black webbing offerings.

“The Model 2020 Rimfire family features the appeal of a well-made rimfire rifle,” says Steve Kramer, Vice President of Marketing for Springfield Armory. “With these new color variants in the Rimfire line, shooters have even more options for a high-quality .22 LR bolt-action rifle.”

Field Use – Springfield Armory 2020 Rimfire Target .22 Long Rifle | Coyote with Black Webbing​

My prior experiences with the Springfield Armory 2020 Rimfire Target have been through my family’s gun shop – The Guns And Gear Store of Waite Park, MN – where it has been a terrific seller. The ergonomics are good, the synthetic stocks are durable yet not overly heavy, and in the past ~10 months that we have been selling them we have received zero complaints and none needed to be sent back for warranty. All good marks for a new rifle to the market.

My first shots behind this rifle were with my lovely wife, Andrea, after an afternoon of checking up on our egg-laying chickens, Angus cattle, Mangalitsa pigs, and even some whimsical honeybees. We immediately tossed our Gemtech GM-22 silencer on it to hush the noise and make it more pleasant for all of our surrounding livestock and animals. Some of those first shots were with CCI “Quiet” .22 Long Rifle ammunition. This ammo, unsurprisingly, was tremendously quiet when paired with our silencer of choice in the Gemtech GM-22. A simple boresight at The Guns And Gear Store got us close to having this rifle zeroed, but we did dial it in a bit more on a steel popper that we brought with.

We didn’t lug a calipers or micrometer with us out to our ranch to measure group sizes because it frankly was not necessary. Once we dialed in the rifle on a steel popper, we were effectively cloverleafing at 25 yards. Expand that out to the “50 yard 1 inch guarantee” as promised by Springfield, and we were actually shooting much better than that. The 3 ammunition types we played with were as follows:

All of the ammunition that we tested fed perfectly from the factory 10-round rotary magazine provided by Springfield Armory. Being as this rifle has that Ruger 10/22 rotary-style magazine compatibility, you could run all the extendos you want in this – 15 round, 25 round, and even drum magazines – but for myself, this rifle is a hunting tool or a bench rifle at most. So, I love that Springfield incorporated that compatibility into this rimfire rifle, but I’m content with my 10-round magazines.

After Andrea and I had a range session with the 2020 Rimfire Target with the new Coyote with Black Webbing stock, we took it for a 2 mile nature hike across our property. This was a casual 1 hour plus walk through the woods looking for agates, seasonal spring mushrooms, and simply enjoying being out in nature. Throughout this leisurely walk, I was carrying the 2020 Rimfire Target the whole time and it never felt heavy or like it was weighing me down.

Final Thoughts – Springfield Armory 2020 Rimfire Target .22 Long Rifle | Coyote with Black Webbing​

So, what are our final thoughts on the new Springfield Armory 2020 Rimfire Target in .22 Long Rifle with the new Coyote with Black Webbing stock?… Overall, I walked away even more impressed than my initial impressions lead me to believe from having sold it for close to a year at The Guns And Gear Store. This rifle is as accurate as it is touted to be, it is handy enough to tote around for long treks through the woods, and with the modern accoutrements of a threaded barrel, common magazine pattern, and interrupted rail for reliable ejection, this rifle is a no-brainer. At an MSRP of $499, this rifle is worth every penny as it is attractive, accurate, and reliable.

In closing, I want to say thank you to Springfield Armory for allowing AllOutdoor and myself the opportunity to try out their new Springfield Armory 2020 Rimfire Target in .22 Long Rifle with the new Coyote with Black Webbing stock. That is greatly appreciated. Also, we would like to know what all of you guys and gals think? Do you believe that the Springfield Armory 2020 Rimfire Target in .22 Long Rifle with the new Coyote with Black Webbing stock is something worth spending your money on? Would you deploy one for hunting? Take it with you camping or hiking? Shoot a league with it? As always, let us know all of your thoughts about Springfield Armory and the Springfield Armory 2020 Rimfire Target in .22 Long Rifle with the new Coyote with Black Webbing stock in the Comments below! We always appreciate your feedback.

Springfield Armory Social Media Channels

The post AO Review: Springfield 2020 Rimfire Target 22 | Coyote w/ Black Webbing appeared first on AllOutdoor.com.

Continue reading...