What is your favorite low budget film from a director that went on to make bigger films?

Crowded Caribou

Registered
What are some examples of low budget movies that may have been a jumping off point? Where a director was able to do a lot with a little and make people say, wow!

One of my favorite examples of this is John Carpenter. You can use the movie Dark Star for this example but, the movie I really enjoy is his next film...

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) This movie was so much fun to watch. I love the way the characters are set up, the raw exploitation feel, and that John Carpenter synth wave composition. Every time the bad guys come around, you can hear that badass music

After making Dark Star, Carpenter was able to get a little more serious attention. He considers this his first "real" film. Being that it was made on a budget and a timeline.

Assault on Precinct 13 was shot in 20 days and cost $100,000. Making $35 million world wide. Acclaimed by some and hated by others, the use of over the top violence caused deliberation as to whether or not it should be rated X. Specifically one scene that left my viewing partner mortified as I rolled off the couch in laughter gasping for air. Incredible.

One way or the other Carpenter was able to grab people's attention. Going on to make Halloween in his next venture.

What are some of your favorite examples of low budget films that may have been jumping off points?

submitted by /u/Sp00kbee
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Trending Content

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert