So I ended up watching Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris...

Crowded Caribou

Registered
As someone who was never into Kaiju in the 90's or even the early 2000's I've recently developed such a massive appreciation for them now thanks to my exposure to the original Godzilla 1954 which prompted me to sweep throw the entire showa era and the the Heisei era to really see just how that series made such a lasting impact. Recently I found myself wanting more Kaiju love and I'll be honest King Kong really wasn't doing it for me as Legendary Pictures strike me more with spectacle rather than long running substance.

That is where our Turtle Kaiju comes into play, I've always been curious about Gamera as most I've heard speak about him generally do with so much hype. So when I saw a DVD for Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris at my local CEX I decided to pick it up...and left it on the shelf for about 6 months. Yeah, I thought diving into a trilogy on it's 3rd entry probably wasn't the best idea but I had a few people tell me it was their first and they ended up loving which motivated me just dive right in and...

Revenge of Iris may very well be one of the best Kaiju movies I've ever seen and at the very least the most emotional.

If there's one thing this movie did exceptionally well that most Kaiju most movies don't nowadays it's the fact it actually made me care about the human characters at the heart of the story. I've not watched Gamera 1 or 2 yet but from what I understand Gamera's whole driving force is established by that of his bond with a human girl Asagi which is paralleled by a girl named Ayane in this movie who stumbles upon this alien looking parasite of a being she names Iris whom she forms something of a symbiotic relationship with as she bears a hatred towards Gamera for supposedly killing her parents. One thing I want to say is this Kaiju looks legitimately terrifying with a very alien looking design compared to any Kaiju I've ever seen most of which bare resemblance to either robotic or pre-historic animals.

This movie really reminds me of Godzilla Vs Destoroyah for all the right reasons mostly in the fact it is emotionally charged and legitimately feels like a finale story which few movies nowadays have the dignity to do. The secondary threat within the movie are these hyper gaios birds which are a group of pteradactyl looking bastards who on their own don't seem that threatening but because there are so many they are essentially an apocalypse level threat. The real battle in the heart of the movie though is it's namesake Iris Vs Gamera and the climactic battle at Kyoto Train Station is one of the best I've ever seen, it's explosive, visceral and feels a lot more personal than the kind of threats you usually see in these kind of movies with Gamera himself blowing his own arm of to rip Ayane out of Iris's chest in an attempt to save her exploding the monster from within. The best part of this movie though without a doubt is it's ending seeing despite all he's been through Gamera is ready to fight forever for humanity as he charges off into the burning remains of Kyoto for what I'd assume is his final battle as the human's at the heart of the conflict stand by his side.

To be honest, there's very little I don't love about this movie as even the cinematrography is outstanding for its time with a great mix of CGI, pyrotechnics and of course our ever exceptional Kaiju outfits and the soundtrack that brings it all together is A++ emotiional when it needs to be, intense when it needs to be. Even though it was probably a bad idea to start with this one I am so glad I did... Gamera is awesome.

submitted by /u/Adam_The_Actor
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...