Samantha Eggar was a big star in the 1960s and 1970s, starring in classics like The Brood and The Collector, yet has become sadly forgotten.

Crowded Caribou

Registered
A fantastic actress who isn't as famous as she could have been. She started out in Theater in London and was directed by Tony Richardson in her early career. She was excellent in "The Collector", playing a captive of a looney Terence Stamp, and equally impressive in "The Brood,",playing the worst mom in Film before Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest", which I found to be David Cronenberg's best film (sorry, "Videodrome" lovers). She played an actress in the low-budget '80s slasher "Curtains", which is an absolute favorite of mine and deserves to be seen by every aficionado of the genre, giallo in Canada.

If I recall correctly, my impression was she got caught up in the Canadian film industry in the '70s and '80s, as she was a British export, and Canada was employing a lot of those in their films. The problem, however, was many of those films were tax shelter flicks or low budget, so many weren't great and didn't exactly bring much exposure to talent.

As a result, Samantha Eggar was left in career limbo since many of the Canadian films she did in the 1970s weren't seen by the public at large.

If you don't know who Samantha Eggar is, do yourself a favor and explore her filmography. You'll find many gems.

submitted by /u/Kit_Rosa
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert