Remnant 2 - Difficulty done right

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/BeerBellies
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/BeerBellies

Alright, I’ve been out of the big gaming scene for a number of years (besides some key Switch releases - TOTK being the last major title I’ve played). But, last year I built a PC in order to play Baldur’s Gate 3… alas, I found that game to actually be a bit too overwhelming for me. I ended up going back to Skyrim… old faithful, right? But, a buddy of mine started raving about Remnant 2, saying how amazing it was, how beautiful it was… and then finally, how difficult it could be.

Now, I’ve always shied away from souls-like games, because the last thing I want to do when trying to have fun is getting stressed out over a damn video game. The relentless, unforgiving onslaught that is Dark Souls never appealed to me (I know, I know, “git gud”). But, there were a number of things that he mentioned that made me go “well, maybe”… firstly, you can play co-op with 2 additional players. This rules. I haven’t even had the opportunity to play with him and his partner yet, but I’m very excited at the idea. Secondly, you’re not brutally punished for dying. You still gain experience, and you still maintain items you picked up. I can’t tell you how much of a relief this was for me. Nothing was worse when I first played Dark Souls 1 than dying in some fucked situation, and having to travel back to that same area to retrieve the souls I had dropped… only to get cheap shotted by some random creature and losing everything. No, no, no, remnant 2 says “fuck that” and let’s you keep trying, getting a bit stronger each time. Praise Jesus! Third, they actually have difficulty settings! What a wild concept for games these days, it seems!

Those aren’t the only perks of the game though. It’s very character-build heavy, with the ability to multiclass. The possibilities are endless. That in and of itself is a beautiful thing. It also has elements that are sort of like borderlands, where it’s a fun looter-shooter - you’re grinding for better gear. You can replay sections, and they’re randomly generated so it’s never the same play through. As things are randomly generated, the play through my buddy had was completely different than the experience I’m currently having. I sent him a photo of a puzzle I was stuck on and he said “well, I’ve never seen that before!” I told him what section I was in and he told me “I’ve never even been there before.” What a fantastic aspect, right?

All in all, this game may be responsible for pulling me back into modern gaming. I’m having an absolute blast. It was also on sale when I purchased it… like 40% off. No complaints!

submitted by /u/BeerBellies
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert