Introducing elderly cat and kitten

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/No_Guarantee9053
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/No_Guarantee9053

I have a 9 month old female kitten. Shes really sweet, playful and curious. I rescued her from the pound when she was just old enough to be adopted.

3 weeks ago I took in an elderly female (13 years). A family member is going through some personal issues and was going to take her to the pound. I didn’t want her to go to the pound, especially at that age so I took her.

I’ve followed all of the proper steps for introducing them. Keeping them separated, scent swapping, etc. The first few days my kitten was really hesitant and scared. She would hiss even when I would rub the elderly cat down with a sock and introduce my kitten to her smell. Now my kitten is completely over that and is just curious.

I’ve introduced them to each other a few times, and it’s gone okay. My kitten is just curious and wants to play. The elderly cat however seems annoyed by the kitten (understandable). My kitten will run around and “sneak” and “pounce”, I see it as her being totally playful. However, the elderly cat doesn’t like it. She hisses, pins her ears back and seems to be aggressive.

Is this something that is just expected? Should I just allow them to “figure it out”. I don’t think they are going to really hurt each other. I’m worried that if they get into a “tussle”, then they will never get along. I’ve been separating them anytime there is any sign of aggression. I just feel like that is delaying the inevitable.

submitted by /u/No_Guarantee9053
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...