Even as a highly enthusiastic gamer, it has become extremely rare that I get hyped for any AAA releases at this point.

• Thread starter Thread starter /u/ClappedCheek
  • Start date Start date
U

/u/ClappedCheek

Until the last near-decade, there would usually be around 5 AAA game releases a year that I would "mark on my calendar" as ones I was super excited to buy and play. In addition to those 5 or so, I would probably end up getting another 3-4 over the course of each year.

Now? Well in 2024, there is only one game that I really wanted, and it already came out. There is quite literally no other AAA release slated to release in the next 8 months that I am overly enthusiastic about. I am planning on trying Stellar Blade, but Im honestly not all that excited by it (personally am a RPG player and just dont know if it will have enough of those mechanics to satisfy my own tastes). Im not saying it will be bad though.

Years ago I planned on getting the new star wars game this year, but ubisoft has made sure I want nothing to do with them anymore with their anti-consumer behavior. I dont think I will buy another AAA game the rest of the year.

Its just..........I dont know...weird. Like, I understand why we have got to this point....everyone does. Corporate greed + rising costs is a deadly combination for consumers.

But something has to give at some point to get us back where we were, right? I guess it may not be until there are multiple studios like Larian who refuse to go public. Even if that happens its probably a couple decades away.

I know many people will respond with "thats what indie games are for!" and "just stop buying aaa games!" but to that I say yes, indie games are awesome, some of them are in my personal top 10 all time list. I buy way more indies than AAA games.

But that isnt the point. A healthy gaming market will have good AAA games AND good indie games. Whats wrong with wanting that?

submitted by /u/ClappedCheek
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert