Does anyone else do this?

Vast Vendace

Registered
I'm currently watching 566 shows to some degree or another. What I've done is curated what's essentially one big TV channel with every show I've remotely found intriguing, retitled/ordered episodes so I see one, in order, of each show before moving on to the next.

I've completed 1,178 shows, keeping up-to-date with ~50 that are still ongoing each season.

I watch almost everything sped up to 2x or 1.5x unless it really clicks with me.

I do literally anything else if the occasion arises, but I live alone, don't have the kind of friends that go out, and often do things like practice an instrument or play a video game simultaneously if it's a game that requires little attention and a show that isn't hard to follow/listen to. (Pirate Warriors 4 and Frasier, perhaps.)

It feels like an idiosyncratic thing about me that no one has ever vibed with, so I got curious and don't know of a better place to ask if you do, or have done, something similar.

I like to record clips that stand out to me from the dialogue. I like seeing the random parts huge actors played in bit roles on sometimes obscure shows. I like the jarring differences in tone in switching between eras and genres. I like seeing how little has changed as far as topics discussed or tropes. I like hunting down missing episodes or less-than-popular series. I mostly like being surprised by what sticks out as more enjoyable and reflecting on why or what elements speak to me. It's made it easier to digest "bad" sitcoms when their formula embeds, and opened me up to exploring series I would have previously been very snooty and judgmental about.

I consider most things "fair" or "good" even if I never bother to rate them as far as Trakt verbiage is concerned. I love finding brilliant episodes in an otherwise fair series. (I take my bell-shaped curve on Trakt as evidence of my decently tempered perspective.) 32 "weak" or lower, 90 "meh," 130 "fair," 190 "good," 221 "great," 163 "superb," and 72 "totally ninja."

I have something of an informal series of goals related to watching like:

Seeing at least 50% of any list someone might put together of "must-see media" as far as movies or shows are concerned. Seeing 95% of any collection of movies/shows someone might actually own. Building "shows for the retirement home" if I ever get dementia or too infirm to move much. Complete the currently watching media quicker than the math suggests in estimates. (536 episode 5s x 30 minutes = 16,080 minutes x 100 episodes = 1608000 / 60 = 26,800 hours = 1,117 days / 365 = ~3 years / 2 (sped up) = 1.5 years as an informal "time to beat." There's 536 5th episodes right now, and only 162 100th, but 10,215 episodes that have reached to between 100-200, and 3,310 to reach between 200-300, 1,250 between 300-400...by the time I get out here it's basically just going to be NCIS, Youtube clips from Jake and Amir, Tom Scott, and Lights Out, Looney Tunes, and SG-U Kino, apparently. (Adding 374 episodes to 27 episode number blocks basically says every show that is less than 73 episodes will be <= the estimate, plus I've already completed the first 3 episodes already.) I can always go in and renumber things so they play out more evenly or spattered about the new shows that get added at that time.

At that scale, skipping intros/outros and having no commercials adds up, and conceptualizing it this way makes it feel considerably less impossible and overwhelming. According to Trakt, I'm averaging 13-15 hours a day (6.5-7.5). That number goes down to 8-10 when I don't have a stay-at-home job, and I overwhelmingly watch at night.

FWIW: The shows sticking out to me right now are: Gangs of London, Prison Break, Quantum Leap, Servant, The Girlfriend Experience, Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, Kingdom, Raising Hope, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Bluey, Eli Roth's History of Horror, The Prince.

submitted by /u/dogg724
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Members Online

No members online now.

Featured Content

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger Ebert